Turbo leak? Please Help!!!

HighTech

Reaction score
Hi, I read up on stuff here all the time but I might as well try posting since I cant really find the answer to my question.

Long story short I bought a 99 accord with an H22a and a Garrett gt35r turbo in it and it seems to be burning oil or something. Smoke is coming out of the exhaust and from the right of the turbo, heres a video of where its coming from:

http://youtu.be/puBgFRCSm6A

Its not a massive amount of smoke but it is still noticeable. Its around the oil feed line.

I'm not noticing any problems with driving or with boost but I just wanted to know what you guys thought and if
1. is it an expensive/cheap fix.
2. Will i run into problems other than this if its not fixed
3. What kind of synthetic oil do you recommend I run?

Turbo was purchased at Turbo Masters.

Last edited:

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Check your oil lines and gaskets first. Other than that it could be lots of things but shouldn't be expensive to fix. But chances are you will run in to worse problems if the issue is not addressed. What synthetic oil you use really doesn't matter that much. Just about anything will do the same as another.

HighTech

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply, I'm only 17 im still learning how to deal with all this stuff, do you think this would be covered under warranty because its under warranty until may?

001Stunna

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply, I'm only 17 im still learning how to deal with all this stuff, do you think this would be covered under warranty because its under warranty until may?

Warranty by the shop that built it or the dealer?
Dealer obv wouldnt cover it.
Shop might cover it if you're original customer.

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Yeah shop probably would cover it. I'm 17 as well if that makes it any better haha

HighTech

Reaction score
is there free play in the impeller shaft?

I dont think theres any play, and warranty from the shop. The guy who bought it is an original customer so he said any time im ready i can go with him to get it fixed IF its something they do under warranty.

but today i started the car up and it seems its starting to smoke out of the exhaust more then usual.

Idk if this is any help but it seems to be coming out of the place where the hot side is bolted on. to the right of the oil feed line

akoutmos

Reaction score
Do a compression test or a leak down test. To make sure your rings are okay. If the piston rings are okay then oil is most likey not being burned as a result of bad rings.

Then it's off tho the turbo. As mentioned, look for shaft play on either side of the turbo (compressor and turbine). The fins should not make contact with either of the housings and they should be pretty solid in there Both side-to-side movement and back-and-forth. If the bearings of the turbo are fine, then it might be the oiling system for the turbo.

Check the intercooler pipes. Is there oil in there? If there is then something is probably up with the turbo. Might be time for a turbo rebuild (i.e new seals and gaskets).

If it's ball bearing make sure there is a restricter on the feed line. To much oil pressure on a ball bearing turbo can make it seep oil through the gaskets and seals.

One more thing that i can think of off the top of my head is the PCV system. The positive crankcase ventilation system needs to be switched around slightly when boosting a motor. I'd make sure that the previous owner or shop did it correctly.

That's all i've got for now :p. Hopefully that helps.

HighTech

Reaction score
I dont think that anything would go wrong with the motor its only got about 55k kms on it.

the turbo is a garrett GT35R with a TIAL wastegate.

it seems to be smoking ALOT more lately, I seafoamed it about 2 weeks ago so idt its the seafoam. the cars been sitting for the last week and a half but i start it every day and let it ldle for 5-10 mins. im pretty sure theres an oil restricter on the feel line.

sorry im not the best with cars im still learning so simple terms would help a lot :D

akoutmos

Reaction score
i would first do a comp test make sure the rings are okay.

Also is the motor completely stock? If the pistons are not stock and the block is not sleeved that might be your problem. H22's need to be sleeved when switching out for non OEM pistons. The stock sleeves in the H22 are FRM which do not seal well with off the shelf forged pistons.

Back