UPDATED: FIXED Tranny Fluid leak

Alltezza

Reaction score
I posted this same thread in the DriveAccord forums but I thought I'd post it here as well.

Okay, I'ma try to keep this short simple and as detailed as I can.

I'm sure the problem is obvious.

98 Honda Accord EX

Previous owner said the engine and transmission have been swapped.

Problem: Transmission shifts HARD, stop and go traffic is a bit of a pain sometimes. When I come to a complete stop I have to wait for the gear to engage before I can give it gas and go.

So I was told, to change the shifter solenoid transmission. Located in the engine bay. You can open the hood and see it shown here in the picture.

rHnuQX2.jpg

So now, I decide to try this other solenoid out to see if it'll fix the problem.

7uIKE70.jpg

So after hard work with the help of a friend of mine, the TOP bolt at the top is a HUGE pain to get to, since there's that metal pipe in the way....If anyone knows an easier way to get to that let me know.

Anyways I end up changing it out and decided to change my tranny fluid while I'm at it.

7utA5XV.jpg

I turn on my car and my friend says "WHOA TURN IT OFF" and I look under my hood and it looks like the leak is coming from the solenoid itself.

So we tighten everything up as TIGHT as we possibly can especially with the top bolt. It's still leaking but it's a much slower leak, the only solution I can think of is just put the older solenoid that I had back in there to stop the leak.

Also the "new" solenoid that we put in there didn't really fix anything. If anything I'm sure the new ATF fluid probably helped A LOT more since there was a HUGE chunk of metal shavings on the drain plug of the tranny. So I'm pretty sure the problem is most likely the transmission itself since I've noticed that a lot of people are having this same issue. The car still drives and everything but I thought if changing the solenoid would fix it....why not give it a shot right?

If anyone knows of an easier way to take that solenoid out please help me because I really wanna get this leak fixed.

UPDATE 3/9/2016 - Alright so I fixed the leak it could have been 2 or both things but the first thing I noticed was that the number was different. For the solenoid, the old one I had said "141" at the bottom and the one I put in there is "131" I don't know if there's a difference or not.
KrTRHjt.jpg

2mcWL5H.jpg

But I personally think the biggest noob thing I've ever done is that if you look at the first picture of this post.....you see that metal thing over the bolt hole. Well my genius brain had that thing at the bottom of the bolt INSTEAD OF OVER IT....so therefore MOST likely caused this leak. So if anyone EVER has to change this thing for WHATEVER reason, make sure that metal piece GOES OVER the bolt (the bottom bolt)

Last edited:

Chris S

Reaction score
One quick thing you should know while you're solving other problems - you should only use genuine Honda ATF fluid in a Honda Accord. The transmissions are very finicky about this.

Back