Upper right "control arm" needed, which brand do I buy?? Do I even need it???

lektrix

Reaction score
I feel like I am getting ripped off by a mechanic I thought I could trust, because I fix one thing and now so many other things also need to be "fixed". It's BS and might end up costing me 1K in the long run. For a 15 year old car that I bought for $2,500 and won't be using for more than another 5 years or so seems like a waste.

-A month ago, I replaced all shocks/struts for roughly $500 incl. labor (got my own parts for $250)
-then they found "bushings" that needed to be replaced for another $60
-now the upper right control arm is worn out and needs to be fixed for $100 parts and $120 labor or $300 for OEM Honda part which I was told would last 10 years compared to their aftermarket OEM which would only last 2 years.

Since I can get the part cheaper by myself at RockAuto, what brands do you guys recommend? Is DORMAN good?

LeoY

Reaction score
Honestly control arms are pretty easy to replace, you could go with aftermarket, but it is true that they won't last as long as OEM. However the OEM part doesn't cost 300. Here http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...3=2DR+LX+(V6)&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=KNUCKLE , it's about 150 plus another 10 in shipping, also replacing uppers is not hard, even with minimum mechanical knowledge you could be done in under 2 hours.

I just redid both of mine and used moogs, but I hear they are not as good as they used to be. So far they are fine though. Oh and I know I saw a couple of videos on youtube for replacing uppers on our accords, so I would just recommend going that route.

james'99

Reaction score
Uppers are easy to replace but unless its rotting out or the ball joint is bad, there is no real reason to replace it. Did he say why it is worn out?

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
haha, two years on an aftermarket uca :lawl: i got one year each out of two of them, then i learned my lesson and bought an oem one. it is really simple to do though, if you're mechanically inclined at all.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I have to question some of what he's saying. Get yourself a decent DIY guide/replacement parts, some quality tools, and some PB Blaster and go to town.

I don't think Dorman is bad but for anything with ball joints I'd definitely go with OEM. I see the cheapest prices for OEM parts from OEMAcuraparts, Bernardi, or Majestic.

WHEEELMAN

Reaction score
Went with OEM parts on the entire front end.

I bought my 01 in 2003. Still have it, replaced the suspension in 2014.
I could definitely tell a difference in the steering after that. It felt "tighter".

13 years on the old stuff. Most of the parts worn, but still had a few years left.

Most aftermarket suspension parts for these cars just don't last as long as OEM. OEM parts are most likely still in stock, and the prices are decent now.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
If you go aftermarket, get a greasable ball joint. One with a zerk. Keep it greased! 2x per year, at least!

OEM are sealed.

Back