Used CF hood install/compounding(REVISED!!!)

nzaf001

Reaction score
66523_152754621429475_100000848139481_236575_4610467_n.jpg

64874_152754574762813_100000848139481_236569_7863052_n.jpg

64357_152754534762817_100000848139481_236564_4178656_n.jpg

(D.I.Y. Compounding Is On The Next PAGE!!!)
In a previous post I said not to wool pad/compound a CF hood. I was told by some F#$%tard that you cannot compound a cf hood because of negative results(swirling,burning) I decided to go against what I had heard because I was very unhappy with the dull spots and horrible spiderweb scratches that were still very visible after light cut/lowspeed polish. So it was either take it to be recleared or take a chance and highspeed compound that mofo!! Im broke so I figured ill just try and compound it and see what happens. I wish you could see the results in person because they are INCREDIBLE.(2nd Page of this thread) Now back to my flawed original post.

Wow so i found a cf hood on CL and went and got it from this kid jack with a white j30 accord cpe. He actually lived pretty close so I went the day after he replied to my email. Seemed like a pretty thoro dude we talked for awhile about how we are getting screwed by our bosses and how much harder it is to make money in the auto feild.

But back to the hood. When i looked @ it it looked a bit rough with holes for hoodpins already drilled and the finish was not at all what it looked like in the pic. I still wanted it and ive been reading about buffing cf hoods so i considered it to be a fun project for the next couple of days tryin to use different low speed techniques to see if i could get some of the horrible spider web scuffs off the hood, so i forked over the 200 bucks and loaded it up took it to my shop and didnt think much else of it.

A couple days later I finally got one of the techs @ my work to help me take off my stock hood which was a breeze because my stockie was relativley new. I had hit a deer about 6months prior and it was replaced by my insurance. Next we line the new/used hood up and bolt number 1 goes in easily, number 2 goes in with a bit of a struggle, number 3 even more of a struggle, and then we get to 4 and it it simply would not thread. We then had to remove it to have a look to see what the problem was, i was dumbfounded to see a stud had snapped off im guessing while jack from CL was removing it from his j30.

At this point im feeling a bit cheated because he failed to mention that he snapped one of the studs off during removal. He definatly seemed like a stand up guy, but that just goes to show how trustworthy people are! An angry text and my stock hood reattached i went home. Next day my friend mike M the Jag tech that helped me the day prior said that he had tap/dye bits and on his lunch break he would dick around with the threads and see what he could do. @ quittin time he told me to pull into his bay because he thinks that the threads should be mostly repaired and sure enough my stock bolts zipped right on and the hood was finally fastened. I had a few service waiters left to do so i went to do them and when i came back they had finally got it to shut with a few minor adjustments to the lock and latch. Still have to push it to the left and slam the sh** out of it to close it but finally its working and i couldnt be happier.

Next pulled it into my bay to try and see what i could do with a dewalt to shine this bad boy up a bit. I had picked out a few pads earlier that week to try from what i had read and seen,you DON'T want to use anytype of wool cutting pad or heavy grit based compounds because a CF hood has much less clear and from pics id seen they can swirl like a mofo if you go anywere past 1500rpm. Then, I mixed a bit of light compound(1500 from ExtremeSoloutions) and swirl remover polymer polish(Teal colored from Pro Detail) together and hit it with a yellow foam light cut/polish pad (from ardex)@ about 1200rpm with an overlapping crosshatch motion. Repeated this process again but used a slightly thicker polish and a lighter polish pad then slapped a couple coats of wax/polish and above is the results I got. Im planning on doing this a few more times probably tommoro maybe @ a slightly higher RPM and maybe ill try a medium cut pad as well.

So moral(s) of the story:
1.Never trust Anyone(especially broke strangers pawning their stuff on CL)
2.Always thoroghly inspect a new or used item before you buy and make sure that you check how each part will function in conjunction with your specific application.
3.As tempting as it is, its best not to cheap out on ANYthing because the cost of fixing it or things that get damaged because of it usually can be avoided by simply saving for a new one.
4.Don't drill holes in your cf hood for hood pins if your cf hood comes with a reinforced metal latch and you probably wont ever be going fast enough for them to even be functional regaurdless.(Hoodpins for looks in my opinion are F***ing Retarded if you dont need them leave it how it is unless your cf hood had one of those sh**y resin welded latches then they probably should be used)

Thanks for reading and i hope somone got somthing from reading this. Hopfully i dont get eaten alive by negative replies because this is the first thread that i ever started and i may have done something(s) incorrectly. So sorry if i did!nzaf-

Here are the pics i said i was going to post

68755_153447648026839_100000848139481_239840_278061_n.jpg

71640_153447748026829_100000848139481_239853_509438_n.jpg

Last edited:

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score
Re: Used CF hood install HEADACHE!!!

Looks good. Are you going to end up getting hood-pins? And writing in paragraph form would make that an easier read.

AHHcord

Reaction score

dude, if you don't want that hood i'll take it. LMK

Mr.Hollow

Reaction score

omg i can't read that, please use paragraphs

anyway looks real

Millz

Reaction score

stuff like that happens when you buy used parts...

by all means spend $500 on a new one if you want to avoid some problems

ive heard buffing CF is the worst thing to do it though, not sure if theres any truth behind that

nzaf001

Reaction score

Looks good. Are you going to end up getting hood-pins? And writing in paragraph form would make that an easier read.

I got CF hood locks last night in the mail from ebay. The K2 motor ones that have keys. They are perfect because they go around the holes that were already cut in the hood. But yet again they didnt line up at all. Apparently a j30 and a f23a4 have different front frames because they lined up on the original owners accord perfectly. Unfortunatley for me that was'nt the case. There are holes in the frame already in the space that is about an inch to the left of were they should be so im gonna have to get some washers and drill out a new hole in the frame. I left the top part in so it looks like they are functional. Ill post pics when I get home. Nothing ever works out as planned.:eekwtf:
As for Buffing a carbon fiber hood it can be done you should have seen that hood before i put it on it looked like total sh**. I wouldnt recomend ever using a wool pad because 1. it will swirl 2. it will burn. and you def dont want either of those things to happen because it will ruin it forever. I used a foam light cut/medium polish pad from ardex and never went past 1500rpm. I used some light cut 1500 for compounding mixed with some thick cake batter gray polish from Extreme Solutions. When you start before you start globbing compounds on you first spread the compound all over the hood like you were applying wax. This will protect the hood and act as a base coat.
After you have a good coat of cut/polish mixture on then you make lines that cover the area you want to start with i usuall do it in 2 or 4 sections at a time. Then you start very slowly so you dont sling compound all over and give the pad a chance to soak up the compound. Always keep the buffer moving and move in on continuious back and forth motion and repeat. Ill try and post a pic of what the hood looked like prior to the first treatment rough to say the least.
As for selling the hood were did you see that? If I wanted to sell it, it would'nt be on the car and i certainly would not have went through the trouble of tap/dying/buffing/mounting. I also wanted to point out that not this whole post was directed to the quote that i highlighted. I also edited the post to be in paragraph form an i appologize to the folks who dont like squinting. Ill post more pics later.

hirichard

Reaction score

hahahahahahaahahaha that was pretty much the same thing as the op. but shorter.

nzaf001

Reaction score

hahahahahahaahahaha that was pretty much the same thing as the op. but shorter.

ohmy bad i just thought id include a bit more info for people that may want to do this to their cf hood ill try and keep my posts less informative.

hirichard

Reaction score

try to space it out in paragraphs and space the paragraphs about a line or two apart so it wont give people headaches reading it

Back