Using a clay bar instead of a buffer

GoldnKnight22

TWM:TLMF
Reaction score
Peter, looks nice a nice paint job. You need to get a lot more pics of it in the sun, so we can examine your orange peelzz!!! :) I may be down for handing you some dough to paint some pieces for me, as well. :thumbsup:

YoungxNutkase

Reaction score
Peter, looks nice a nice paint job. You need to get a lot more pics of it in the sun, so we can examine your orange peelzz!!! :) I may be down for handing you some dough to paint some pieces for me, as well. :thumbsup:

u can barely see it, only in diffrent lighting or angles u can see some here and there but barely..or unless u wetsand it a lil bit and let the dust and water dry and then u can see it... hey troy took the same classes as me too and painted his old accord, i dont know how good he is though

Cpyro

Reaction score
haha knowing he used to live around the block i should have been on site sooner haha. Ive been in a box for a bit tho lol dont think ive ever seen ur car.

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
why not buy a porter cable dual action polisher and use a more agressive polish(like meguiars #83 or #85)....it will still do the same job but take a little longer....you just don't have the risk because the PC can't generate the heat to burn through paint...

YoungxNutkase

Reaction score
why not buy a porter cable dual action polisher and use a more agressive polish(like meguiars #83 or #85)....it will still do the same job but take a little longer....you just don't have the risk because the PC can't generate the heat to burn through paint...

sounds like a good idea, i was reading up on the porter cable 7424 at autogeek.net and it looks like a good investment for beginners. and plus my paint job came up pretty good with no imperfections on the coat. and some light wetsanding and buffing would make the paint smooth, flat and complete. but i wasnt to sure on the pads to use would the pc's?? i watched the video on autogeek.net explaining, but wanted some more insight on those who used a pc polisher. should i start with there yellow cutting pad with meguiars #83?? then move on to one of there less abrasive pads with a swirl remover..

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
I went to my local harbor freight and bought my buffer for like $34. Then at the time used cheap turtle wax compound/polish**it really sucked*,so HIGHLY recommend 3M Perfect it 3000 series products.
But just take your time,stay away from the edges and you will be fine... just look at my pics from when I painted my car. GF was rushing me to finish so I sprayed 5 WET coats of clear,leading to HEAVY orange peel as shown,then just sanded and buffed it back to mirror finish; PM me if you have any specific questions,i use to buff for a living.

before:
CIMG1129.jpg

After:
CIMG1143.jpg

**even using cheap products,could be alot better with 3M stuff i mentioned.

if you do end up using 3M products the steps are:
White Foam buffing pad = Compound
Gray foam pad = Swirl remover/finner scratch remover
blue foam pad = polish

shenaniganz08

Reaction score
If you think a claybar and a buffer do the same thing, please take your car to a professional.

seriously

the fact that you would ask that question scares the crap out of me

i would never let a beginner touch my paint with a buffer if I had just gotten it painted

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
u can damage your paint with a claybar if you dont know what ur doing. U need to always clay ur paint while its wet with the spray. U need to pluck out any debri caught in the clay. Also make sure that u cut the bar in 3's, that way u can switch to a new one after the old one is dirty.

nf3d0149ab

Reaction score
I went to my local harbor freight and bought my buffer for like $34. Then at the time used cheap turtle wax compound/polish**it really sucked*,so HIGHLY recommend 3M Perfect it 3000 series products.
But just take your time,stay away from the edges and you will be fine... just look at my pics from when I painted my car. GF was rushing me to finish so I sprayed 5 WET coats of clear,leading to HEAVY orange peel as shown,then just sanded and buffed it back to mirror finish; PM me if you have any specific questions,i use to buff for a living.

before:
CIMG1129.jpg

After:
CIMG1143.jpg

**even using cheap products,could be alot better with 3M stuff i mentioned.

if you do end up using 3M products the steps are:
White Foam buffing pad = Compound
Gray foam pad = Swirl remover/finner scratch remover
blue foam pad = polish

That's really something man!

Good work there and that really illustrates the power of buffing!

Back