V6 AT mods?

jbl

Reaction score
Is it possible to upgrade the V6's AT at all? Especially without major $$$?

We already have a transmisson cooler on there, but would like to know what else we can do to improve it/keep it alive.

cyen008

Reaction score
One last thing that not a lot of people have tried but is highly recommend on bobistheoilguy is putting Lubegard Red in your transmission. It's an additive that people put in their automatic transmissions to lower the fluid temperature and give it a higher tolerance to heat. It is not a friction modifier and from reviews, it's actually a transmission seal conditioner too. With all of these three combinations, the car shifts smoother, responds quicker, and shudders a lot less at idle. It has even held up for me extremely well at the track and I changed out my fluid 8k later. Still bright Honda red fluid. Usually without Lubegard or the tranny cooler, the fluid would've been toast already. I usually put one whole bottle of Lubegard Red as I believe it's 1oz for every qt. Our tranny's hold about 10qts total and they come in 10oz bottles so it's perfect. I would add a bottle in your transmission every 2-3 tranny fluid changes. Even though not all of it is out of the system, there is a high chance it has already lost it's ability to protect the fluid from heating up. Just remember to fill up your transmission to the proper level on the dipstick and to not overfill.

http://www.amazon.com/Lubegard-6090...r=8-1&keywords=lubegard red&tag=vglnk-c277-20

jbl

Reaction score
Search. A lot of threads with this info.

Thanks for responding.

I hope you don't take this as me being disrespectful, since at 12,000+, it's obvious you've been here for awhile and have some knowledge.

That being said...of course I'm searching. As you can gleen from the title however, my question is kind of broad, and not because I'm getting lazy, but because this is pretty new to me. I don't have a ton of mechanical experience, and what I do know isn't very Honda-specific or even race-specific. This is new territory for me, as it is for everyone at some point in their lives. I'm learning, but many of you guys have forgotten more than I'll ever learn about Hondas, their tolerance to extreme conditions and how to remedy and prevent a lot of issues.

At 12,000+ posts, you would be the type of person I would hope to get the most amount of information from. Like I said, I'm not trying to be lazy...I am searching, but if I'm completely honest, sometimes I don't know exactly what I'm searching for.

I'll continue searching, but any and all guidance is greatly appreciated. And like I said, at 12,000 posts, I know you must have something you've seen or done in the past that could somehow be beneficial to me, our car and my team.

Thanks man. I appreciate any and all help.

EDIT: Maybe I should even reset the premise a bit. This is a 1999 Accord sedan V6AT, 145,000 miles that we're racing in The 24 Hours of Lemons. We've got one race in her at 360 laps in 14 or so hours of racing, with a small break a night (noise restrictions at the track). Our minor modifications include a transmission cooler, RedLine racing ATF, a stubby intake with a cone filter, a cherry bomb (cat still in place...didn't know what to do with O2 sensor), 20mm rear sway bar, Raybestos ST-43 racing pads, Star Spec Direzza Z1's for rubber and DOT4 brake fluid.

Let me know if you have more questions about the car if it helps spawn some ideas.

Last edited:

SykVSyx

Reaction score
jbl, there really isn't an upgrade option for the J30 tranny that won't cost you alot of money.

You can do some general maintenance things, the tranny cooler being the major low cost one, and fluid/filter/fluid change maintenance.

Anything else will mean $$$, so your cheapest option is to baby the tranny.

Back