v6 vs i4

Rsuave24

Reaction score
I'm thinking about picking up a 4 cyl sedan this weekend but I just wanted to read about what you guys prefer when it comes to the two.

if you have an i4 why do you prefer it over the v6? or vice versa.
and are there any problems with the manual 4cyl models?

I do quite a bit of driving, and i figure picking up a 4 cyl would help out on fuel economy, another perk would be a manual transmission. I've considered doing the 6 speed swap on my v6, but it just seems out of reach at the moment. another reason is that tranny issues occurs all to often, making it inevitable that it will fail again lol

assuming that I get an i4, i will be swapping a bunch of stuff from the v6 to the i4 such as my coil overs, 5 lug swap etc...

downsides to me being lack of power (have only owned v6 cars)

kn0x47

Reaction score
power difference is only 50hp i believe and with going to a manual i doubt you'll really notice the difference. Ive never driven a v6 but the 5spd has no major issues. worse gas mileage i ever got was 24 or 26 mpg and that was only because i removed the cat. you'll get 30+ mpg on highway

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
Well with the V6, there is more power and 5 lug is already there. But then you have the auto-tragic transmission. Maybe the V6 had more interior options, I dont know for sure on that one.

My gas mileage is about 28-29 when I stay below 3k, mostly. If I have fun, I get anywhere from 24-27. So it's not bad there

bRaZEn_407

Reaction score
IMHO. Having owned a V6 for 5 years. If your pursuit is going faster, then don't consider a V6 unless you are also considering a 6 speed swap.

V6's sound a ton better though.

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a 4 cyl auto and 5 speed. Transitioning over to the 5 speed from the auto was a day and night difference, it is that much enjoyable even though you only gained back some lost hp from the auto transmission. Being able to shift whenever you want compared to the lag/slow shifts from the auto is also a really good bonus.

Rsuave24

Reaction score
power difference is only 50hp i believe and with going to a manual i doubt you'll really notice the difference. Ive never driven a v6 but the 5spd has no major issues. worse gas mileage i ever got was 24 or 26 mpg and that was only because i removed the cat. you'll get 30+ mpg on highway

thats pretty good for gas mileage my v6 gets cruddy gas mileage :(

Well with the V6, there is more power and 5 lug is already there. But then you have the auto-tragic transmission. Maybe the V6 had more interior options, I dont know for sure on that one.

My gas mileage is about 28-29 when I stay below 3k, mostly. If I have fun, I get anywhere from 24-27. So it's not bad there

i think you are right with the interior options, i know that the center counsel area looks alot better in a v6, considering i have the fully loaded option. i think with the 4 cyl im looking at..im sacrificing a sun roof..

IMHO. Having owned a V6 for 5 years. If your pursuit is going faster, then don't consider a V6 unless you are also considering a 6 speed swap.

V6's sound a ton better though.

I fully agree on the sound of a v6. i get compliments on it all the time, i just feel bad when i lay into it and it only "sounds" like its fast lol

Brimstone Brown

Reaction score
I have put about 120,000 on my 5spd ex with no major complaints. My clutch finally went out last summer so I took the opportunity to upgrade to an exedy stage1 clutch and fidanza lightened flywheel and couldn't be happier. Imo the 5spd Cg is damn near bulletproof in terms of reliability.

Last edited:

xci.ed6

Reaction score
I can pull a trailer through the mountains without downshifting. V6 ftw!

Really though, around town I ride my bike. The Accord is for highway trips, and the V6 is great for making miles disappear. I've done 1300 miles in 24 hours many times with this car, my only complaint is the leather seat doesn't breath (but I'm working on a fix for that). (edit: and 205k on the original trans, so it likes highway too).

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I personally would not buy a 6GA unless I was getting a 5spd i4, or was set on swapping the V6 to 6spd. Not worth having to worry about the auto trans.

Back