v6 vs i4

uhhkilleez

Reaction score
I have a v6, had it for about two years and between 35-40k miles. Power is better than i4 and they sound great with a short ram intake. Awesome low end torque and great on the freeway.
I've been searching for a decent i4 5sp coupe just to get away from that auto tragic.
If you can't get over the power loss (imo the 5sp makes up for it) the four banger is easier to go the forced induction route or just swap it all together for an h22 or the like and it will cost about the same as a v6 6sp swap.
F23 with a 5sp is bullet proof and will run forever with basic maintenance. My dads 5th gen with an auto f22 has about 300k miles.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

Rsuave24

Reaction score
as long as its not 4cyl auto, drove my friends and It sucked

haha auto sucks in general

I have put about 120,000 on my 5spd ex with no major complaints. My clutch finally went out last summer so I took the opportunity to upgrade to an exedy stage1 clutch and fidanza lightened flywheel and couldn't be happier. Imo the 5spd Cg is damn near bulletproof in terms of reliability.

Yeah my v6 is at 210,000 miles and have never had a single problem motor wise..but the tranny is ****, 4 rebuilds is too much.

I can pull a trailer through the mountains without downshifting. V6 ftw!

Really though, around town I ride my bike. The Accord is for highway trips, and the V6 is great for making miles disappear. I've done 1300 miles in 24 hours many times with this car, my only complaint is the leather seat doesn't breath (but I'm working on a fix for that). (edit: and 205k on the original trans, so it likes highway too).

you are very lucky to get that many miles on ONE tranny lol, if i were that blessed i'd definitely be happy. but when it did run good i drove from MN to TX just fine, so I agree with the long trip aspect of the car. also...people in TX drive really fast, so it was nice to have the torque of a v6 for passing.

I personally would not buy a 6GA unless I was getting a 5spd i4, or was set on swapping the V6 to 6spd. Not worth having to worry about the auto trans.

after having so many auto issues, I would only ever get this car again if It were a manual.

I have a v6, had it for about two years and between 35-40k miles. Power is better than i4 and they sound great with a short ram intake. Awesome low end torque and great on the freeway.
I've been searching for a decent i4 5sp coupe just to get away from that auto tragic.
If you can't get over the power loss (imo the 5sp makes up for it) the four banger is easier to go the forced induction route or just swap it all together for an h22 or the like and it will cost about the same as a v6 6sp swap.
F23 with a 5sp is bullet proof and will run forever with basic maintenance. My dads 5th gen with an auto f22 has about 300k miles.

again, i agree with the sound. I actually did a quick pull with a i4 the other night and my v6 did edge me ahead at top end but not by much..but I could hear my car over his.

v6 :ohyou:

i make the same power as a v6 with my I4 :lawl:

with what mods?

get a civic for mpgs.
no... not a fan. I love the long look of a sedan. no compacts for me.

Update
I'd like to thank all the responses so far, it is nice to hear all the feedback. I am going to look at a 99 white lx 5 speed tomorrow morning, with the intention of buying it. hopefully things go well, i'm looking forward to the change.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
On the v6, change the fluid every-other oil change, with real Honda ATF, and don't power through the 1-2 shift.

It only wears the clutches during a shift. So back off at the end of 1st, wait for the shift to finish, and get back in it. With practice it's as quick as a manual, but I don't have to set down my coffee.

From a few months ago:
IMG_20121211_084944.jpg

Yes, still original trans.
0730091403.jpg

Also auto-x on it, after the start put it in 2nd, then it won't shift.
n71802238_31820453_1782.jpg

People who burn up trannies probably neglect &/or abuse them. Mine still shifts like new.

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
On the v6, change the fluid every-other oil change, with real Honda ATF, and don't power through the 1-2 shift.

It only wears the clutches during a shift. So back off at the end of 1st, wait for the shift to finish, and get back in it. With practice it's as quick as a manual, but I don't have to set down my coffee.

That's what I do too when I'm going into it for whatever reason. From the outside you'd think I was driving a manual

Rsuave24

Reaction score

Yes, still original trans.

Also auto-x on it, after the start put it in 2nd, then it won't shift.

People who burn up trannies probably neglect &/or abuse them. Mine still shifts like new.

hmmm ill have to take that into account, and a tranny flush every other oil change huh? gets pretty pricy after awhile?

and I am considering auto x'ing it in september :)

startswitha

Reaction score
I'd choose the i4. Owned both and the v6 had tranny problems before 50k. i4 is still strong after 120k, plus it's more fun to drive imo. plus it gets way better mpg no matter how you drive it.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
hmmm ill have to take that into account, and a tranny flush every other oil change huh? gets pretty pricy after awhile?

and I am considering auto x'ing it in september :)

3 qts at $8 a qt, or that's what they sell them to me for, they might be higher now but the parts guy sells to me under an account because I ***** that Majestic is cheaper.

Considering I use synthetic and change the oil every ~5k, it only gets the ATF every 10k. I've changed the fluid 10 times in 100k, so $240 on trans fluid in 100k miles. Some people have replaced the trans every 100k, what's that cost? I bet it's a few bucks more than the fluid cost me.

uhhkilleez

Reaction score
^spend little money on maintenance now or spend a whole lot of money down the line for repairs.
Get oil from Meijer or WalMart at $25 for a 5qt jug of Mobil 1 synthetic and use your savings on Honda ATF.

Back