Reaction score
In your picture you've got
::Rear::
Exhaust
Intake
Intake
Exhaust
::Front::

Exactly what I thought. The rear valves will have the same orientation as the front valves. So, intake are the ones closest to the IM and exhaust are the ones furthest from IM for both heads.

These are the inlets
REMEMBER - to see the words with the pictures, you have to scroll down and on the right hand side - open up the MEDIA INFO drop down arrow.

I create these guides using a different method now - using powerpoint, so the words can't get lost

I saw your wording, but the two most critical pictures stating which were intake and exhaust valves didn't have that information.

12valvegear.jpg

What you will find when you pop the covers off. The inlet rockers have the VTEC stuff, but it doesn't affect doing a valve clearance job. The piston banks are numbered 1,2,3 on the back, starting at the left and 4,5,6 on the front as shown in the picture. 4 is on the left

which doesn't say anything other than what you see. the other one you pointed out shows

13screwandlocknut.jpg

My favorite design. Shims and buckets are overkill IMO. I have a Suzuki bandit with this design and it has a 10,000rpm red line. These will never be an issue and adjustment is free compared to the math and $5 for a shim & bucket design - more if you have to replace a shimless bucket (toyota design)

and you just stated that it's your favorite design. unless you point out what i'm to look for as to which are intake and exhaust valves, i don't see what you see. had you not put up this picture again stating it was the intake valve, I wouldn't have found out unless it was through additional searching.

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
I just watched those two videos from ETCG and man, they are a wealth of information! There were a couple small spots that I wasn't aware of that I know I would have gotten wrong if I hadn't watched the videos. Good thing I did!

RichBinAZ

Reaction score
Well, with my guides, you kind of need to read the manual along with the guides as I try not to repeat what the manual says - but I do try to point out things that are not in the book.
The inlet valves have 3 rocker arms, the exhausts 2. The extra rocker arm is the VTEC stuff. At some point as the engine speeds up, oil pressure is sent to the center arm sending out pins into the 2 adjacent arms. When this happens, the 2 intake valves run on the center cam which has different timing and lift than the low speed cams...
... Now wouldn't it have been more fun to discover that on your own???

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
In terms of adjustment, I just want to make sure of something here. Am I adjusting the gap between the red arrow or the green arrow?

And finding out the difference on the cams would be fun, but not the hard way :D

Valve%20Job_13-1.jpg

Accord123

Reaction score
12valvegear.jpg
Exactly what I thought. The rear valves will have the same orientation as the front valves. So, intake are the ones closest to the IM and exhaust are the ones furthest from IM for both heads.

I saw your wording, but the two most critical pictures stating which were intake and exhaust valves didn't have that information.

which doesn't say anything other than what you see. the other one you pointed out shows

and you just stated that it's your favorite design. unless you point out what i'm to look for as to which are intake and exhaust valves, i don't see what you see. had you not put up this picture again stating it was the intake valve, I wouldn't have found out unless it was through additional searching.

Sooo.. in this picture, would the intake be the left or right? And is it the same or all of them relative to the front of the car, or are the 1,2,3 cylinders in the back reversed?

So would it be, from left to right, Step 1: Get 4 at TDC. Step 2: Check clearance with exhaust being on the left and intake being on the right. Step 3: Get 5 at TDC, repeat.

Do they go, from left to right,

4: Exhaust, intake; 5: exhaust, intake; 6: exhaust, intake?

Last edited:

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
12valvegear.jpg

Sooo.. in this picture, would the intake be the left or right? And is it the same or all of them relative to the front of the car, or are the 1,2,3 cylinders in the back reversed?

So would it be, from left to right, Step 1: Get 4 at TDC. Step 2: Check clearance with exhaust being on the left and intake being on the right. Step 3: Get 5 at TDC, repeat.

Do they go, from left to right,

4: Exhaust, intake; 5: exhaust, intake; 6: exhaust, intake?

In this picture, we are shown the head facing the front of the car. This head goes over cylinders 4, 5, and 6. Here, the intake valves are the ones closest to the intake manifold and exhaust are the ones on exhaust manifold. So, if you were to work on this head, you would put it on TDC for #4 and adjust the intake manifold and also the exhaust manifold before moving on to the next cylinder.

If you haven't already, I'd say watch to the two ETCG videos posted on the 1st page of this thread. It has lots of great info and it'll probably answer a lot of your questions.

Back