vibration after lowering

TuckerPunch

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So today I lowered my 98 accord v6 on tein basis coilovers. With the test drive rides just fine except for when I accelerate aggressively I can feel some vibration coming from what I assume to be the front wheels. Now these wheels are pretty worn with uneven tread on the inside due to a prior tie rod issue. I just want to try and fix the issue prior to alignment. Thank.

rooky

Reaction score
Okay, Your car is a v6 accord and you just lowered it, by how much inches? and what type of springs or coil-overs?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^He said he was on Tein Basis coilovers.

What are the specs on the wheels, or are they the stock? How low are you? Did you feel the vibration before you lowered the car? Does the vibration occur upon acceleration only, or do you feel it while cruising?

rooky

Reaction score
RedRyder i'm thinking he lowered his car to the point where the engine sits at an angle causing damage to either the rear engine mount which cause the vibration when he romp it. What do you assume Red?

TuckerPunch

Reaction score
Alright so I'm 15 in wheels and tein basis coilovers.i have it on the lowest setting right now I guess first step would be raise it up a half inch and see if it is still shaking. I drove it again and it's vibrating when I put the pedal down hard, also when I was swapping I cracked one of the plastic hub rings could that cause the issue? Thanks

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
RedRyder i'm thinking he lowered his car to the point where the engine sits at an angle causing damage to either the rear engine mount which cause the vibration when he romp it. What do you assume Red?

lowering a car has nothing to do with how the engine sits.

hub rings are useless, especially plastic ones. if you do a star pattern when you tighten your lug nuts, like you should, the wheel will be centered. i haven't used any hub rings since 2006 and never had a problem with an off centered wheel. plastic ones can also melt and cause you more headaches.

lowering does put more stress on the axles however, and with lowering your car you might've brought out a problem that wasn't as noticeable before. the axles in my last accord were going bad and would vibrate when i got on it a little bit and also had a little vibration around 20mph that went away as i kept increasing speed. i'm not saying they're 100% the problem, but just take a look at them for sure. mine was only holding together because it was bolted in the car, the second the axle was removed the outer cv joint just fell apart.

TuckerPunch

Reaction score
So I took the tires off today and raised the car half an inch in the front 3/4 in the back and also matched up the hubcentric rings up front and it's still vibrating under acceleration, almost feels like it's worse. This is kind of frustrating since I just spent 600 on coilovers now I have to spend a bunch more to figure out what's taken a crap with the drop.

White6GAV6

Reaction score
Swap the rear wheels to the front and see if that changes it? Do you feel/see the vibration in the steering wheel?

TuckerPunch

Reaction score
I swapped tires around already didn't help. It feels like a wheel is coming loose. The only thing I haven't checked it the nut that holds the top cap on I'm not sure how much to tighten this. (The nut that goes on top of the shock).

Back