Voltage Drop Question

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
the voltage drop is a function of the ecu. a faster discharging battery may help in the short term while the alternator is shut off, although i don't know how long a single, good battery could hold the voltage of the car at 14V...especially with the stereo on.

i'd definitely like to see your results with the DRL, if you'd take the time and effort :)

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
ive noticed mine always drops from time to time, never paid attention to when it was doing it, i figured it was normal....and apparently i was right haha.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
hmm.. my voltmeter doesnt do this while accelerating
youd need one with a constant update...can't remember the technical term for it...

if you had access to a decent scan tool (like a snapon solus) you could monitor it in real time. know anyone with a shop or works at one? they're neat but well over $2000 :skurred:
ive noticed mine always drops from time to time, never paid attention to when it was doing it, i figured it was normal....and apparently i was right haha.
unfortunate, but normal...

tckm

Reaction score
the voltage drop is a function of the ecu. a faster discharging battery may help in the short term while the alternator is shut off, although i don't know how long a single, good battery could hold the voltage of the car at 14V...especially with the stereo on.

i'd definitely like to see your results with the DRL, if you'd take the time and effort :)

hey
sorry man i couldnt get it done today, didnt have time
and im off to see family for easter
sooo i wont be able to do this until tuesday... unless another canadian accord with DRLs can do this before i get back

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
so ryan, instead of being mr. secrets, why dont you inform us of why its an unfortunate thing that our cars do this. haha.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
nick covered it in post #2 :eh:

its for mileage/emissions. i want to see if DRLs are enough to fool the ECU into maintaining a 14V output from the alternator.

no secrets here :lawl:

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
so, if its only for gas mileage/emissions, then whats the problem with it? :eh:

im only asking because youre downplaying it like its the plague haha.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
it can't be defeated, which is the problem.

let me give you the short of the long (thats not what she said)...

some amps make more power at 14V than they do at 12V, called an unregulated power supply. imagine bumpin along, then your output gets cut in half when you slow down or let off the gas or any other situation like that.

the other half of the matter is high output alternators. they're made to provide a full ~14 volts from like 1500rpm and up. imagine getting a full 14V, like above, then having a sudden voltage drop. regardless of having a good battery and upgraded charging system, some amp(s) will just straight shut off.

consistency with the charging system is what we're trying to gain.

Back