weird clicking/knocking noise while engine running

haoleflip

Reaction score
Hello! This has been going on for almost a year now, but has gotten louder lately.

http://youtu.be/IyXxgGZfb04

I'm thinking that it's that circular pulley that's holding the belt there. It looks like it is bent or rotating funny. You can also notice when I pull the camera in and out from that spot the sound fluctuates. It happens while driving and the sound speeds up when i push the gas just a bit. It also 'clicks' in idle too, as you can see by the video. If it is that piece, what's it called, about how much for a new one and is it easy to install myself?

Thanks for the answers ahead of time!

Last edited:

Darianjr1

Reaction score
I had the same problem... The bearing in my power steering pump went out. I bought the pulley and PS pump together and just decided to get a new belt too. Problem went away and I did it all by myself. Got the part for $50 from a junkyard and it came with a 6 month warranty. Car-part.com and find the closest one to you.

haoleflip

Reaction score
I had the same problem... The bearing in my power steering pump went out. I bought the pulley and PS pump together and just decided to get a new belt too. Problem went away and I did it all by myself. Got the part for $50 from a junkyard and it came with a 6 month warranty. Car-part.com and find the closest one to you.

Yeah, I saw your post literally right after I posted this lol. The noises are kind of the same, but kind of different at the same time. Did the clicking/clunking get faster when you rev the engine?

ejreams

Reaction score
Is that what that damn sound is!? I'm gonna go check that out right now, its so annoying people always ask why my car sounds like a ticking vacuum cleaner (vacuum sound is from the air intake).

haoleflip

Reaction score
Is that what that damn sound is!? I'm gonna go check that out right now, its so annoying people always ask why my car sounds like a ticking vacuum cleaner (vacuum sound is from the air intake).

Haha yeah you might want to check it out, too. And yeah I have a short ram intake lol. That thing sucks hard. It's funny, it will make a swoosh sound before I hit the next gear; could be mistaken as a turbo haha. :driving:

Darianjr1

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw your post literally right after I posted this lol. The noises are kind of the same, but kind of different at the same time. Did the clicking/clunking get faster when you rev the engine?

Yes because the belt is moving faster. Youre sounds different because your PS pump seems to be in worse condition, hence why the pulley wobbles harder than mines

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
I had the same problem with mine when I first got my car. I got mine from Pull-a-Part I believe, and it still holds up. But the space you have to work within is sooooo cramped

Darianjr1

Reaction score
^Agreed. I had a helpful neighbor(female) :beer2: do all the work for me. She was a mechanic lol even though I knew what I was doing. Just took her no time with her smurf hands.

Back