Weird sound that started today. I have video

mahfuzur

Reaction score
So today, I was sitting in my car for a few minutes with the ac on and I hear a light rattling. I turned off my ac and after a minute, the rattle went away. I turn the ac back on and a few minutes later i hear a louder rattle. I then went and checked under the hood and this is what I heard.

http://youtu.be/f27ukrFwm0c

It seems to be coming from the left side by the belts. Please tell me it doesnt sound like an engine knock.

Unfortunately I havent been able to get a oil change in about 6 months, but Ive driven it a total of maybe 1-1.5k miles in that time period.

Could it possibly be low on oil?

DizzyP

Reaction score
If you think it might be low oil then, drumroll please............check the dipstick. Check to see what the fans are doing. They might be hitting the housing. Any other symptoms?

iPhone using Tapatalk, sent from my.

Craize

Reaction score
you could also remove the belts to see if the noise goes away and if it does then its an accessory like a/c or alternator bearing.

Craize

Reaction score
Now that I listened to it several times it almost sounds like the timing belt slapping the plastic cover does it go away when you rev the engine?

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Shuts off with a/c...you sure?

For that I'd say a/c compressor. Otherwise, a mechanic's stethoscope works well, try it, then pop off belt, engine or other.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
image_22652.jpg

HotboxF23

Reaction score
So today, I was sitting in my car for a few minutes with the ac on and I hear a light rattling. I turned off my ac and after a minute, the rattle went away. I turn the ac back on and a few minutes later i hear a louder rattle. I then went and checked under the hood and this is what I heard.

http://youtu.be/f27ukrFwm0c

It seems to be coming from the left side by the belts. Please tell me it doesnt sound like an engine knock.

Unfortunately I havent been able to get a oil change in about 6 months, but Ive driven it a total of maybe 1-1.5k miles in that time period.

Could it possibly be low on oil?

its possible that its low on oil even though that sound is quite different from what i've heard..check your levels on that magical stick that comes out your oil pan..then as mentioned used a stethoscope to isolate the noise you may have to remove the chain cover to see if its any slack in the chain..which is bad but take a peek..other than that what circumstances did the noise first arise

Back