Well, Im going camping at Best Buy

whitey2kaccord

Reaction score
But not for a PS3. My TV took a dump the other day, so I'm gonna use my PS3 money and buy me a Panasonic 42" plasma :peace: . Best Buy is gonna sell them Fri. morning for $999. The thing is, its not advertised in the paper, its internet only. Heres the link if anybody else wants to check it out.

Best Buy Site

One more thing, what are the pros/cons of plasma vs. LCD?

dynasty

Reaction score
last year when i camped at BestBuy, i had NO reason why but i did camp there from 12:30-8:00 in the morning. LOL! it was freakin' cold and everything. yet, i don't know why i was there because i wasn't really planning on buying anything. i never heard of Black Friday before so i went with some friends and ended up buying blank cds/dvds only. LOL! but i'll probably do it again this year.

Jeffro

Reaction score
Plasmas suck and are overrated...

Actually, I can tell you how it used to be when I was in college, because we used to have long discussions about them. I don't know if things have changed:

Plasma Pros:
Excellent picture quality, supposedly the best you can get
Highly promoted, and very limited quantity available
Most have multiple inputs, which programmed properly can allow multiple PinP's, etc.

Cons:
Often warrantied for 10 years, but gas is known to leak out, and will be Black and white for 8 of the 10 years. But they still work, so this doesn't fall under the warranty.

Overpriced from the get-go. For what you can get a plasma for, you can get a higher quality LCD.

You still have to buy all mounting hardware, and if you're going digital, often a digital tuner too...

Very sensitive to bumps, drops, etc.
Very sensitive to irritants to the gas, although I don't remember what they are...

LCD Pros:
Supposedly will last far longer than the old "Tube" tv's
Superior picture, some even say to Plasma
Best quality for the money invested

LCD Cons:
You still have to buy all mounting hardware, and if you're going digital, often a digital tuner too...

That's all I can think of off hand. Ultimately, (at least back then), LCD's were the #1 choice for professionals (I'm in the television production business, so this is important for me) as far as longevity and quality. The station I work for as 5 or 6 plasma's, and they've experienced multiple problems that are VERY expensive to fix. Granted, they are early generation tv's, so bugs may have been worked out since then. There used to be a 98% fail rate on Plasma screen production, which is part of the reason they were so expensive. This means for every 100 screens produced, only 2 actually worked...

My next TV is going to be an LCD, hands down... :thumbsup:

ryon527

Reaction score
The biggest con with the plasmas I believe is the glare from the screen.

Jeffro

Reaction score
ryon527 said:
The biggest con with the plasmas I believe is the glare from the screen.

lol...

What advantages does plasma have over LCD?

Apart from better contrast due to its ability to show deeper blacks, plasma screens typically have better viewing angles than LCD. Viewing angles are how far you can sit on either side of a screen before the picture's quality is affected. You tend to see some brightness and colour shift when you're on too far of an angle with LCDs, while a plasma's picture remains fairly solid. This is steadily changing, however, with more and more LCDs entering the market with viewing angles equal to or greater than some plasmas. Plasmas can also produce a brighter colour, once again due to light leakage on an LCD affecting its colour saturation.

Jeffro

Reaction score
From what I'm reading, both are pretty even. Here's the last part of an article I used above. I'll put the link in the bottom if you want it, too:

Which is better value for me right now: plasma or LCD?

If you're in the market for a big screen television -- and we're talking 42-inches and above -- then we'd suggest plasma as a safe bet. Plasmas give you more bang for your buck at the big end of town, and while LCDs can give you better resolution, the price difference is currently too wide. However, if money's not an issue and you want the sharpest image in town, then a large LCD is for you. At the smaller end of things (15" to 36" TVs), LCD is the only way to go if you want something slim and tasteful. And the best thing is that LCDs are getting cheaper all the time.

Article I got this from... It's from January of this year... :beer:

Twobit

Reaction score
I hear all the PS3s are fryin....true? and how much did u make on your ps3??

whitey2kaccord

Reaction score
Twobit said:
I hear all the PS3s are fryin....true? and how much did u make on your ps3??

I didn't get a PS3 in the first place; I'm just gonna use the cash I had saved up for a PS3 to buy the TV. :thumbsup:

And lastly, thanks for all the comments on Plasma vs. LCDs it really isn't gonna sway me away from buying the Plasma for $999, but its good info for when I buy my next one. :beer:

Back