What causes this effect?

xluben

Reaction score
I saw it coming through the viewfinder, too...

Unfortunately no photo of the ball in flight.

xluben

Reaction score
The ball was a paintball :D

It was my camera/lens. The photo was taken by someone else and e-mailed to me.

Unfortunately there is no way to NOT watermark a single image in a watermarked album.

Nismode

Reaction score
The ball was a paintball :D

It was my camera/lens. The photo was taken by someone else and e-mailed to me.

Unfortunately there is no way to NOT watermark a single image in a watermarked album.
Yikes, that stinks. Was it under warranty?

dynasty

Reaction score
did it crack the lens or just paint over it? i wish they made "safety" filter. which is just a normal glass filter.

xluben

Reaction score
Yikes, that stinks. Was it under warranty?
did it crack the lens or just paint over it? i wish they made "safety" filter. which is just a normal glass filter.
I UV filter is generally accepted as a protective filter.

I had a filter on at the time, and it didn't break the filter, or even touch the front element of the lens.

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
This is Something simple that sometimes works with me.
Try taking the pic at more of an angle instead of dead on

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
filters really aren't important enough to warrant spending that much. haha I hardly ever use mine. post-processing can get you the same effect. :hihi:
no, it cannot get the same effects. some can, but you can TELL when its been photoshopped.

go take a pic of some water in bright sunlight. i bet the polarizing PS plugin wont even come close to a real glass filter in front of the lens.
You can probably get Hoya HMC UV filters for a pretty decent price. They are pretty inexpensive multi-coated filters and do the job just fine. I'm actually asking myself why I shelled out the extra bucks for Hoya Pros when I could have just gotten HMC filters.

But everyone has their own shooting style and what not. Experiment and decide what's best for you. I would only slap on a UV filter when I know the weather is windy/inclimate or if theres going to be something that's going to want to poke my lens.
hoya makes quality products, no matter what the name/version. they are the parent company of pentax, who has made their name on quality lenses. i would hope hoya optical co feels the same way :lawl:

i have a hoya filter...just a regular PL polarizer. the rest of mine are B+W or vivitars from the 70s :lawl:
there was a paintball vs. camera discussion on pentaxforums a while ago. UV filters were the most common suggestion...but some thought of like a sheet of plexiglass mounted in front of the lens...sort of like the ones used on TV cameras so people can paint on them/throw stuff etc.

finch13

Reaction score
There are differences in filters and how much you should pay for them. Buying a polarizing filter that retails for $208 is worth it :hihi:, spending the same on a UV filter is ludicrous.

The only filters I would ever drop big cash on are polarizers, red filters (for B&W), and a graduated neutral density. Most of the others are just "special effects" filters.

Back