What Kind Of Lugs To Use?

KombatVirus

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I bought a set of rims and tires for the summer. I find them to be quite nice :headbang:

I was wondering if there was a way to determine what kind of lug nuts should be used with these wheels?

1) Are they conical style, acorn style, or what? Would I be able to get away with using the OEM lugs?

2) Whats the difference in extended lugs, tuner lugs ,etc ?

I would really like to figure this out and buy the proper set of lug nuts without having to take off the current wheels on my car and test fit the new rims

Thank you!

todd_cards

Reaction score
A lot of people try to stay away from aluminum lugs. But some of good and bad stories with them. I just have basic open end extended steel black lugs!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

WHEEELMAN

Reaction score
post up a picture of the lug nut holes in those rims so we can make sure what lugs you need.

most likely you will use acorn/tapered style with aftermarket rims. Never use the OEM lugs on aftermarket wheels, they won't seat onto the rim properly.

White6GAV6

Reaction score
Would help if you said what wheels you have at least. Hard to tell what you need without know what you have.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
"Ball seat" lugs are for OEM wheels, "cone seat" are for aftermarket wheels. Just look at the bottom (seat) of the lugnut, if it's a sharp angled taper then it's conical and you want to use that for aftermarket wheels. If it's a gradual curve under to the opening, then it's ball seat and that's generally for OEM wheels only.

There are standard lugs and extended lugs. You generally only need extended lugs if you have replaced the OEM studs with extended studs. People do this when they employ more than a 5mm spacer to widen the stance. And sometimes they put on another set of wheels and remove the spacer (ie winter wheels) and they don't want to change the studs back to OEM, so they use the extended lugnuts. You can also just use open ended lugs which work for any application. However, in the winter wheel example I mentioned, the studs would be visible through the top of the lugnut, and over depending on the length of the lugnut itself.

The thing to watch is that the lugholes on some wheels can be pretty small diameter, which takes a different type of lugnut/key. Always check your dimensions of the lug hole, and the diameter of the lugnut/key.

Best to stay away from aluminum if possible. And always use the right kind of lugnut for the wheels on the car.

DrOwZee

Reaction score
Well it depends on what you're going for. I've personally used Rays(Duraluminum), Caliber 24 (Super forged steel) and Muteki(chrome vanadium). Rays are expensive because of the brand. Wasn't too satisfied with them because after awhile, they start to strip being so soft. I loved the Caliber 24 best; both durable and reliable but a bit pricey. The Muteki's are also another great product. If you're looking for a cheap set, these are the way to go. Best bang for your buck.

Brimstone Brown

Reaction score
I've used both aluminum and steel tuner lugs. Currently using muteki's and I'm happy with them. I won't put aluminum lugs after the set I had failed.

KombatVirus

Reaction score
Here are a couple of pictures of the holes, I hope you guys are able to make it out. As you can see the rims are RTX brand, however I have no idea about what model they are.

Thanks again for all the input! Also pitch should be 12 x 1.5mm right?

Igor

Under construction
Reaction score
Holes look big enough to use stock lugnuts without issues

Back