What requires an Alignment?

finch13

Reaction score
Same. I got my alignments done at a shop that my grandpa is friends with the owner of. It was way out of the way, but for $86 out the door I know I got it done right, the first time. The first time I got my car aligned after lowering it last November they spent 2.5 hours aligning it, they didn't just say "it's within specs, let's get this car out of here" it was dead in the middle of the alignment spec.

Now I do alignments at school for free. A friend lowered his 98 Contour SVT (Actually I did all the work) and brought it to school to align it. I made sure that rear toe was -0.14º and front was +0.08º, when the alignment spec gives you a +/-0.05º range outside of "dead on".

One of the biggest lessons in life is "you get what you pay for" and it's extremely true with cars and car parts. When I'm deciding what I want, I don't look at the price tag. Pick out what works within your budget on quality parts, then figure out how to pay for it. Don't start a project until you have all the parts. If you simply can't afford lower level quality parts, just don't do it. Sorry for going off on a tangent, but sometimes I feel like I need to beat it into people's heads.

mraw112

Reaction score
2.5 hours for the accord with an alignment rack? damn.

Ive been doing my own alignments with fishing line and 2' with 1/64 increment ruler. takes about an 15-45 min per per tire if Im just doing toe, and 1-1.5 hours if Im doing camber and toe.

Most alignment shops give you free print outs of your numbers. I can usually get about .02-.03 degrees of what i want. Some times I get them dead on.

I would not recommend doing it yourself unless your really poor, or for some strange reason you find enjoyment in it.

finch13

Reaction score
Yeah... I was wondering what took them so long... toe is really the only adjustment you can make, plus a fresh rear camber kit.

Back