When to sell?

Go!

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Accord (DX) Sedan. 215,000 miles. Automatic.

2 Owners. (Me + previous).

Transmission was replaced @ 140k. Radiator replaced last summer. Alternator was replaced @ 120k. I just fixed a transmission leak this week.

Should I just drive it til it dies and get $200 from an impound lot or should I sell it now while it still is running with no OBVIOUS issues. (Theres got to be tons of things wrong with it. I think radiator fan is giving out. Transmission is sort of slipping. Rough idles occasionally. ect)

Thoughts?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Not worth much now, will be worth less later. Either drive it until it dies or if you have the funds for a newer car sell it for what you can.

nabwong

Reaction score
I'm facing the same issue. I've no issues with my car. Just replaced the evap canister. Timing belt due in 10-15k. I guess the most I can get is $3000 for the car. I think you've got to think about how much you can save in a year vs selling the car.

Say you sell it for $3000 now, you have to spend a lot to get a newer one. But if you run it to the ground, maybe you can save more than $3000 (minus cost of maintenance) in that year. I don't know your financial situation but that's what I'm thinking about. Also it depends if you're buying a used or new car.

So they way I'm looking at it, sell if you're buying a used. Drive it to the ground if buying new and if you can save more than $3000.

Back