Which part in this diagram is the bypass valve?

JBird

Reaction score
Hey guys -- I've been trying to diagnose the P1456 CEL for awhile and decided to quit throwing parts at it and took it to a mechanic.

They could smell the leak but couldn't find it, however they found gas in the two way valve and the bypass valve and said to change those. They wanted $400 so I'll be doing it myself... however I'm not sure which one is the bypass valve? Can someone point it out for me? Thanks!

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
i believe it's 8

$400 is a joke.. it's very easy to replace

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
$400? How many labor hours did they project? Takes way less than an hour to change the vent shut valve, two way valve, canister, etc.

What else have you tried, typically the parts in that diagram apply more to the p1457. 1456 usually means something closer to the fuel tank.

JBird

Reaction score
Yeah $400... I didn't even ask for an invoice breakout I just told them I'd do it myself.

I've replaced the vent shut valve (#8), the gas cap, and tried the fuel pressure regulator as well. The smell seems to be coming from behind the driver's tire. The shop told me P1456... I've pulled the code several times in the past couple months and think that's what it was (may have been P1457).

Seems like the next best guess is to try the 2 way valve. Any other suggestions? I cannot find a leak anywhere but the smell is very strong.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
#14 is the two way valve

#7 is what they're calling the bypass

#'s 6,7,8, & 14 are what are usually replaced or what usually go bad. Check the rubber hoses too. I don't know if they use salt in your area but they do here and we see them rot out a lot.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
GL, hope you find the source. Report back with your results if you can, I've had a 1456 forever now that I can't seem to get rid of.

Back