Whistler XTR-425 Radar Laser Detector

DeathKing

Reaction score
I think the V1 and 9500i are tied for 1st since they both offer one great option not available on the other.

I bought a Whistler Pro-78 for $179 and its been great.

GoldnKnight22

TWM:TLMF
Reaction score
^^^ has it saved you from getting pulled over?? i'd like to hear how effective the chearers one are, and if they ever really "fail" to detect a cop...

I'm most interested in highway detection, so I wanna know when they are hiding just out of sight in those Cop-only highway crossover paths. Trees in between the highway roads FTL.

DeathKing

Reaction score
^^^ has it saved you from getting pulled over?? i'd like to hear how effective the chearers one are, and if they ever really "fail" to detect a cop...

I'm most interested in highway detection, so I wanna know when they are hiding just out of sight in those Cop-only highway crossover paths. Trees in between the highway roads FTL.

I wondered the same before I bought it. The reason I chose this model was because I had read that it is one of the best for the money (of the cheaper ones). On the highway I leave it on "City" mode because this particular one has a cool feature where it beeps once and shuts up, but if the signal gets stronger (aka cop and not bs) it will beep again. I personally prefer that to "Highway" mode where beeps throughout the whole ordeal.

You wanna hear a save example? Coming back from Ithaca with the cruise on 75 in a 55 (psl had gone down from 65). I approach a downhill and the thing goes off, I try and bring it down to 60 still looking frantically for the cop, didn't see him till the moment I passed him. He was on the right side of the road, under trees and shade facing me and covered from the front by bushes. This is when these things really save your ***.

Oh, about some radar detectors failing to find cops. Not matter what you buy I highly doubt that'll ever happen, the only difference between all of them are distance and function. The only times they fail to go off when you pass a cop is if he doesn't have his detector on, which probably means he isnt interested in pulling anyone over.

Last edited:

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
^^QFT. Distance in the key. A cheap detector has less range and will give frequent false alarms. Period. Don't fall for that 12-band crap either. There a three radar bands and one laser, thats it. K, Ka, and X for radar, really Ka and the occasional K is all you need to worry about.

Back