Wiper Switch Replacement

RichBinAZ

Reaction score
The intermitant speed part of the wiper switch (the bit you turn at the end) became very hard to turn for some reason. So I figured I would just replace the switch. The on-line price didn't seem too bad (compared to the national debt) and the manual said I only needed to take out a few screws and it was done.

Well it isn't quite that easy. Here's the tricks you need to know.

The three screws you take out under the steering cover panels are easy to take out, but hard to put back in. I ended up using a mirror and lamp to help me align the holes so that the internal guide pins fit in their holes properly. Only then will the screw holes line up with the mating threads.

There are 6 plastic snap fasteners holding the 2 halves of the cover together and the only thing you can do is grab in the stalk holes and pull apart. 1 of the 6 beveled square pins popped off, but there isn't really a way to avoid that. It did re-seat properly on the remaining 5. Hope nothing else goes wrong in there.

The switch itself is held in with 2 screws and a hidden pin on the top surface between the 2 screws. To get the switch out, put a thin screwdriver in and lever the plastic apart before pulling out to the right side.

Prior to that, disconnect the 2 connectors. The larger one is a pain because there is nothing to grab to give it a pull. In the end I put a wide blade screwdriver in the top middle of the connector pushed down and turned to lever it out.

The new switch turns easily and after dismantling the old switch as much as I could, there seems to be no cause for the hard to turn switch. The copper bits in the switch are in excellent condition.

Good luck if you have to change yours.
Rich

Back