Won't Crank

qbrew

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Honda Accord EX Sedan 4cyl that won't crank. When I turn the ignition, the starter doesn't engage. Lights work, all accessories work, and brand new battery that tests good.

Can you good people please point me in the direction to diagnose the issue? I'll be searching the forum in the mean time.

james'99

Reaction score
Do you hear a click once you turn the key to the start position?

Are you 5 speed or auto?

Do you have a multimeter? Ground it to the battery and check for 12v on the terminal on the starter.

Last edited:

qbrew

Reaction score

Well the battery I installed last Friday is dead this morning, so I'll have to charge it and try it again. I don't remember hearing a click, but I want to try again to be sure.

Are you 5 speed or auto?

Auto

Do you have a multimeter? Ground it to the battery and check for 12v on the terminal on the starter.

I don't but I will get one.

james'99

Reaction score
Okay, the reason I asked which trans is if the clutch safety switch isn't pressed or broken, the car won't crank. Also, try starting it in neutral. Maybe there is an issue that park isn't fully engaged?

The reason that P and N are red on dash and shifter is due to the fact that they are the only gears you can start the car in so turn the key on, put it in neutral, turn the key, and see what happens.

bairdandrew77

Reaction score
Try jumping the starter from under the hood to see if the starter itself is still good

qbrew

Reaction score

Are you 5 speed or auto?

Well the battery I installed last Friday is dead this morning, so I'll have to charge it and try it again. I don't remember hearing a click, but I want to try again to be sure.

Are you 5 speed or auto?

Auto

I don't but I will get one.

Okay, the reason I asked which trans is if the clutch safety switch isn't pressed or broken, the car won't crank. Also, try starting it in neutral. Maybe there is an issue that park isn't fully engaged?

The reason that P and N are red on dash and shifter is due to the fact that they are the only gears you can start the car in so turn the key on, put it in neutral, turn the key, and see what happens.

Thanks. Yes, I did try starting in Neutral and it didn't work.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
turn on the headlights (assuming you don't have an Ex) and try to start the car.

Do the headlights turn off, dim alot, or stay normal?

Back