What did you do today Auto Detailing related?

agginline86

Reaction score
Re: What did you do today Detailing related?

^
Nice purchase Matt. Any reason why you decided on this route instead of a standard buffer that does not attach to a drill? Price point wise this is in the middle of the Harbor Freight Da and the Griots Garage Da. We need some pictures! Well... at least I'm demanding some....

The kit comes with 3 different pads to go with the meguiars compound, polish, wax respectively (16 oz bottles), and 3 microfiber towels (16x24").

A bit more budget friendly and it's Meguiars so I figured it was a good pickup for $75
I wish I had taken pics prior to working on my trouble areas
but I'll try to remember to take some before doing the rest of the car

agginline86

Reaction score

I need tp figure out how to get the plasti-dip off a part I bought. I got one of the canadian cubby holes with the heated seat switches and the previous owner put a thin layer of plasti-dip on it. I'd leave it but its worn off on the edges and looks like crap. So its on textured plastic...every method I can think of will either deform the plastic or scratch the plastic up.

try using a towel and rubbing it off starting at the edges.

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score

I need tp figure out how to get the plasti-dip off a part I bought. I got one of the canadian cubby holes with the heated seat switches and the previous owner put a thin layer of plasti-dip on it. I'd leave it but its worn off on the edges and looks like crap. So its on textured plastic...every method I can think of will either deform the plastic or scratch the plastic up.

Hm... I never sprayed it thinly and tried to remove it like that before. I always spray couple coats thick enough so if I had to remove it, it wouldn't be hell. I was checking the plastidip site, and they sell a citrus based cleaner that is used to dissolve and loosen plastidip. Maybe you could give that a try?

Nevermind, on the product description it states: Avoid contact with black plastic trim, as discoloration can occur. If they are using a cleaner with citrus, I would try using Stoners Tarminator. It's safe on plastic as long as you don't let it dwell, and it contains citrus as well. Take a cloth and spray a little bit onto the towel and dab a small corner and go from there with a cautious approach. If it works, then check for any discoloration. A fellow friend also recommended Goo Gone. He wasn't specific on which one though because I know there's a couple of Goo Gone products.

The kit comes with 3 different pads to go with the meguiars compound, polish, wax respectively (16 oz bottles), and 3 microfiber towels (16x24").

A bit more budget friendly and it's Meguiars so I figured it was a good pickup for $75
I wish I had taken pics prior to working on my trouble areas
but I'll try to remember to take some before doing the rest of the car

Oh I see... The bundle perspective of it makes it a little simpler, and you can just use it right away. The compound, polish, and wax are good products. I'm just not sure about the towels included. It may or may not scratch your paint.

Starting to correct the paint on my auto accord to get it ready for my sister. Started with the fender today.

Starting condition

Half way done

Done

Applied Opti Coat Coating

Process used:

Wipedown with Optimum No Rinse
Clayed with Nanoskin Medium grade sponge w/ONR as clay lube
Harbor Freight Da/Menzerna FG400 compound/Meguiars Microfiber cutting pad
Harbor Freight DA/Menzerna Power Finish/White Foam Pad
Carpro Eraser for wipedown to remove all silicone, and oils from polish prior Opti Coat
Apply Opti Coat
(Total Time Spent):1hr 15min

Any comments, questions, or suggestions, feel free to leave a remark. Thank you for viewing.

f20bcg3

Reaction score

Wow the stuff u do lemon is quite amazing ....if you ever happen to find yourself anywhere near or in NC you let me know ima contract you to detail my car

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks! I am trying to diffreniate myself from the production shops in my local area. I will let my customer service, educating the customer with knowledge on proper techniques, and the quality of my work will reflect upon the price.

Last edited:

f20bcg3

Reaction score

Thanks! I am trying to diffreniate myself from the production shops in my local area. I will let my customer service, educating the customer with knowledge on proper techniques, and the quality of my work will reflect upon the price.

Well i wish you prosperity in your business you deserve it

Brad2274

Reaction score

buffed the crap out of a 1984 mercedes diesel wagon

used a high speed craftsman buffer with wool pad and 3M Finesse it

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score

Brad, the paint looks really shiny for a white car which is hard to accomplish. Did you refine the paint with another step afterwards since the wool pad is really aggressive? Do you know if the paint is single stage or was it base coat/clear coat?

It was raining today so I had a chance to inspect the protection on my paint. Wasn't too happy with the beading from the sealant so I decided to clay it and apply a new layer of sealant. The last time I applied a sealant was 3-4 months ago so I guess not too bad.

Still some decent beading, but not happy with it

After prep and applied new layer of sealant. Woohoo tightness returned!

Not bad of a shine with just a decontamination, and sealant. Did not do any polishing yet...

Process:

Wipedown with Optimum No Rinse
Clayed with Nanoskin Fine grade sponge w/ONR as clay lube
Dried it off
Applied one layer of Wolfgang Fuzion Sealant using cross hatch pattern technique to ensure even coverage
Let it cure for 30mins and buffed off

Any comments, questions, or suggestions, feel free to leave a remark. Thank you for viewing.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

Lemon I used the glass cleaner last night that you sent me. It didn’t hurt my tint and the window looks great! That stuff works and doesn’t streak at all from what I can tell. Definitely better than Windex. I may have to buy more of that from you in the future. Thanks again!

agginline86

Reaction score

As my paint is in good condition overall, I've been only focusing on trouble areas rather than try and do the whole car at once

These were two door dings. I spent maybe 20-30 minutes for the whole process
The pics kinda suck but bear with me
before pics were taken after I washed the car but prior to any buffing
Ding 1 Before
picture.php

Ding 1 After
picture.php

Ding 2 Before
picture.php

Ding 2 After
picture.php

Back