What did you do today Auto Detailing related?

99cfENVYv6

Reaction score
Re: What did you do today Detailing related?

Ah probably wont get a powerball....I rather things done by hand, its like a craft I've managed to get better at over the years.

Aren't powerballs for cleaning anyways, and not polishing?

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ah probably wont get a powerball....I rather things done by hand, its like a craft I've managed to get better at over the years.

Aren't powerballs for cleaning anyways, and not polishing?

Ahhh... honing the craft with hands on experience. Works for me. I watched a couple videos showing how the Mothers powerball used in conjunction with alum polish. It seems like it's a good investment, and it seems to work quite well. Might have to pick one up in the future for polishing the inside of the exhaust tips or something.

Also did a 2 step paint correction on a friends 01 corvette quarter panel and rear bumper. It was poorly resprayed with single stage paint, and it's showing really bad oxidation. He decided he wanted to keep it until the summer so I told him what his options were, and we decided a coating was the best choice to prevent the oxidation from reoccuring.

Here's what I had to work with

Setting up my test panel to see which combination would yield the results I am looking for

Settled on a 2 step paint correction. 50/50. Gloss & Shine is coming back

Finished up and coated with Opti Coat 2.0 Letting it cure for 12 hours before letting it be exposed to the elements

Process:
Wipedown with Optimum No Rinse
Clayed with Nanoskin Fine grade sponge w/ONR as clay lube
Meguiars DA/Menzerna Super Intensive Polish/Cyan Cutting Pad
Meguiars DA/Menzerna Power Finish/White Foam Pad
Carpro Eraser for wipedown to remove all silicone, and oils from polish prior Opti Coat
Apply Opti Coat
(Total Time Spent):1hr 30mins

Any comments, questions, or suggestions, feel free to leave a remark. Thank you for viewing.

Last edited:

kn0x47

Reaction score

Not today but I washed my car with that chemical brother's car wash. Awesome stuff. Works a whole lot better than anything I bought at the store. After sheeting my car(drying with water) this is all the water left on top of my car and I don't even remember the last time I waxed it
8epajy3a.jpg

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score

claybarred and waxed the mazda 2 today... put on lemmie's polish thingy, but left it on for a good 4 hours :hide: put it on before dinner, forgot abt it, then worked on it again at 9:30 pm :lawl:

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not today but I washed my car with that chemical brother's car wash. Awesome stuff. Works a whole lot better than anything I bought at the store. After sheeting my car(drying with water) this is all the water left on top of my car and I don't even remember the last time I waxed it
8epajy3a.jpg

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Glad you liked it Jon. Good technique as well with flooding the paint to get as much water off as possible before drying it off.

claybarred and waxed the mazda 2 today... put on lemmie's polish thingy, but left it on for a good 4 hours :hide: put it on before dinner, forgot abt it, then worked on it again at 9:30 pm :lawl:

Nice productivity on a Saturday Roy! The polish thingy you are referring to is your paint's protection called a paint sealant. :lawl: It's okay that you left it on a little longer, as long as it's not caked on hard and still relatively easy to remove you'll be fine. Good job with claybarring it as well beforehand. Try not to touch it too much now since it's as smooth as a baby's butt. :lawl:

Finished Part 2 of polishing this morning with the rear bumper. The clear was much harder on the rear bumper so I had to adjust the aggressiveness on this panel. OEM clear coats on corvette are known to be rock hard, and it requires a more aggressive approach to level the paint, and will take much more section passes to correct compared to soft clear coat like Hondas.

Starting with the top of the bumper

Done

On this silver metalic color, it was very hard to capture defects with my camera so I only have this finished picture of the rear bumper

Very nice pop from the flakes

Completed rear end

Process used:
Wipedown with Optimum No Rinse
Clayed with Nanoskin Fine grade sponge w/ONR as clay lube
Meguiars DA/Meguiars M101 compound/Meguiars Microfiber cutting pad
Meguiars DA/Menzerna Power Finish/White Foam Pad
Carpro Eraser for wipedown to remove all silicone, and oils from polish prior Opti Coat
Apply Opti Coat
(Total Time Spent):3hrs

Any comments, questions, or suggestions, feel free to leave a remark. Thank you for viewing.

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score

Did some painting for my garage walls.

Bonus pic(Im the one in the white t painting while slackers are chilling):lawl:

End result

With flash(I like the color grey here)

Without flash(I do not like the dark grey)

I will most likely end up buying 5-10 different sample size pots of grey from Home Depot and do little sections to test out the color. After it dries I will choose the one I like and end up repainting the whole thing...
Thanks for viewing guys. Any comments on liking or hating the color leave a comment haha. :D

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score

So I've got another question for you. By the way, interior stuff you recommended was fantastic. Thanks so much for that

I'm going to do a whole exterior detail now.

Here's what I'm working with:
Meg's Gold Class Car Wash
Mother's Clay Bar
Meg's Swirl X
Meg's Ultimate Compound
And some Carnauba Wax at the end

Someone also recommended to me a polishing compound also, havent heard much about this.

Good route to take?

Doing this all by hand, no DA polisher. Need to get me one of those

BullAccord

Reaction score

I polished my exhaust tip, for one reason or another it was painted the same color as my car.

[Tools used]
* 60 grit sandpaper
* 140 grit sandpaper
* 2000 grit sandpaper
* water
* Elbow Grease

Okay, about a month ago i noticed it was paint on my exhaust tip i took some steel wool to it; I didn't finish obviously. so this how i left it.

After wetsanding with 2000 grit for about 20min.

I was getting nowhere fast until i remembered that the dollar store sold sandpaper.:hihi: but about 5min of dry a sanding with 60 grit.

5 min of sanding with 150 grit.

I wet sanded with 2000 grit again to finish.

The end result.
:GetMoney:

xci.ed6

Reaction score

I tried to detail my car today, fuuuuu

So ya, roof, hood, trunk lid, washed, clay'd, waxed. Tomorrow, I'll do the sides. I was going to do the whole thing, but that took ~5hrs. The clay was new when I started, and might be dead when I'm done!

Back