What did you do today Auto Detailing related?

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why you should remove both license plates before washing your car

Dirt will build up behind the plates over time. A good practice is to remove them before washing to clean the area up. You can choose to polish it if desired to remove defects. Then apply wax or sealant to provide protection.

Dirty

Clean

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two friends came over to do some minor miscellaneous things to their car.

Friend car was repainted before and a corner started to chip so we decided to use touch up over it to see if it will hold it down. Otherwise we will razor blade it off carefully to get a flat surface and use touch up again.

Second friend decided to do some experimenting with plastidip clearcoat. His front bumper is chipped and he's trying to see if he can get away with it before bringing it into a body shop to spray it.

Before & After.

He removed most of the lifted area and compounded and polished it to blend some of the color. Then laid couple layers of clear. I believe he will be purchasing the pearl plastidip. Here is a shot of the bottom of the door he did as well.

Ham Solo

Reaction score
Hey Lemon I have a question. I went through this whole thread (great stuff by the way, thanks!) and I didn't see any info on your way of removing dried on sap. I have 3 spots of sap on my car and have tried different things such as goo gone and even dawn degreasing soap, but have not had any luck. Would bug and tar remover work well? The sap has been on there since I received the car 9 months ago, so no telling how long it has actually been on it. Any help is appreciated. Here are some pictures of the spots:

On my spoiler

AwzJE5G.jpg

On my rear window

bDWlcpn.jpg

On the roof

xVM3lue.jpg

agginline86

Reaction score
Hey Lemon I have a question. I went through this whole thread (great stuff by the way, thanks!) and I didn't see any info on your way of removing dried on sap. I have 3 spots of sap on my car and have tried different things such as goo gone and even dawn degreasing soap, but have not had any luck. Would bug and tar remover work well? The sap has been on there since I received the car 9 months ago, so no telling how long it has actually been on it. Any help is appreciated. Here are some pictures of the spots:

I always used WD-40, spray it on and let it sit for a few minutes
then grab some isopropanol wipes or put some on a towel and wipe it off
repeat if necessary

Is that safe for the paint?

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score

I found a couple of cars at work with very hard tree sap just like the pictures you've showed. I was able to remove it with a method using solvents. I will post it tomorrow because it requires a bit of typing.

I always used WD-40, spray it on and let it sit for a few minutes
then grab some isopropanol wipes or put some on a towel and wipe it off
repeat if necessary

Is that safe for the paint?

I have not tried using WD-40, but I do know using IPA straight will work. Becareful not to let it dwell long though because it can soften the clearcoat.

I usually can get if off with a clay bar and quick detailer spray, may take some time though.

Clay and quick detailer spray will work on fresh/semi fresh tree saps. +1

Back