What did you do today Auto Detailing related?

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tried out a $20 foam gun from Walmart loaded with Griots wash. Not bad for $20 but not very foamy. Still did a decent job. Used some tire cleaner on the hoses and what no in my engine bay. Cleaned up pretty well. Interested to see how it holds up.

Try out the Gilmour foam gun. You won't be disappointed.

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
Couple friends came over to hang out on Saturday. One came in for a maintenance wash and the other picked up an Evo and wanted to wax it before he sells it.

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright! I finally got some time to post up the rest of the pics for the write up. This customer was referred by the Acura job I did couple weeks back. Initially, he wanted to wash, decontaminate, clay, sealant, but had some scratches he wanted me to inspect as well. I went over the scratches with him and let him know the majority will come out but I never give any guarantees because we all know where that leads to.... He dropped it off Saturday afternoon and I finished Sunday morning so he can pick it up Sunday early afternoon.

Started on the tires, wheels, brake caliper first to ensure I am not working backwards. The reason behind it is if you wash your paint first, the dirt will have a chance to splatter over the paint from rinsing the wheel and tire down.

Foamed it up with Meguiars Hyper Wash

After washing, dried to off but not completely. When using Iron X, it's best to use on a surface as dry as possible to not further dilute it. The purple specks are the iron particles reacting to the chemical being used. Afterwards spread out the Iron X to ensure even coverage and rinse off the car to proceed to claying. After claying, dried it off completely to get ready for polishing

Scratch on roof

TIP: Always tape off the rubber molding to prevent damage from buffer pad or discoloration from compound & polish

Took some paint readings before I began. Readings varied from 200-300 microns for whole car

Scratch removed using Meguiar M101 compound and Hydrotech cyan pad

Scratch on door

Scratches on other side of roof

This area was the customers main concern. He believes someone at the dealership caused these 3 scratches

Took readings for all 3

End result. All came out except one which you can only see under the right lighting and angle

I tend to tape off edges whenever I am doing extensive correction to prevent burning the paint due to less paint near the edges

Rinsed off the compound dust, dried it off, and applied a durable sealant

Hazing....

While I was waiting to wipe off the sealant, I took care of the exhaust tips and mesh

Aftershots

Total time: 5 hr 5 mins

What I learned from this job:

This particular model had a very generous amount of paint from the factory. Easily twice the amount I've seen on average compared to other cars.

Clearcoat was easy to work with. Not too soft where wiping it with a towel with wrong technique will cause scratches and not
too hard where I needed an extreme aggressive polishing combination approach

Couple scratches on the sunroof glass did not come out due to lack of proper tools

The inside of the exhaust tip is not chrome plated or aluminum. It's flat black finish.

I had a fun time working on this car. The color of the car came alive after proper washing, decontaminating. Although there are swirls, it is now clean and shiny. Thanks for viewing my work as always. Throw some comments out, or feel free to ask a question!

Last edited:

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quick Tip On How To Properly Dress The Tires

There are 3 options to choose from:

Use a jack to raise the tire off the ground to get the area that's unaccessible

Move the car to rotate the tires

Drive over anything that will raise all 4 corners

I prefer using a jack. Here is an example:

whitederic

Reaction score
Quick Tip On How To Properly Dress The Tires

There are 3 options to choose from:

Use a jack to raise the tire off the ground to get the area that's unaccessible

Move the car to rotate the tires

Drive over anything that will raise all 4 corners

I prefer using a jack. Here is an example:

Always love reading your detailing posts!

Back