problem with key copying

FallenAngelHIM

Reaction score
i went to get a copy of my key from Ace Hardware today. the key works perfectly for the trunk and the doors. it even slides into the ignition to turn on the radio and cig lighter. the only problem it when i turn it to turn the engine on, the engine turns but won't start. this only happens with the copied key, the original honda key works fine on the engine, it turns and starts. my question is this, is there something with the metal of the honda key that tells the starter to not start the engine, like a current gap? if so, where can i get an official honda key so it would work.

the only mod to ignition and starter is probably my AudioVox alarm system.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Our keys have a microchip in them, you need to get the key copied from the dealer and you have to take your title/registration w/ you so they know your the owner.

FallenAngelHIM

Reaction score
WHAT!? are you guys serious? there's a CHIP in the key? damn, technology! that's the shiznit, makes me feel WAAAY better about owning a Honda....so safe

FallenAngelHIM

Reaction score
oh yeah my dad just told me, i asked him if he thought 10 bucks was more than enough he said HELL NO!!!

angelplus

Reaction score
lmao, yeah I didn't believe it at first either, but yeah our hightech accords have chipped keys lol

FallenAngelHIM

Reaction score
you guys think i can get one online at ebay?
or do you think it's not worth the risk of buying a phony key.

they call them bitches Transponder keys...

any idea how much it is at the dealer? and do you think i can JUST buy the key and have it cut somewhere else?

6THGEN_AI4

FallenAngelHIM said:
you guys think i can get one online at ebay?
or do you think it's not worth the risk of buying a phony key.

they call them bitches Transponder keys...

any idea how much it is at the dealer? and do you think i can JUST buy the key and have it cut somewhere else?

U can get it at any HONDA dealership for 75 Bucks + Taxes
PS Don't get Ebay

Back