problem with key copying

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
OK, lets relax. It's not the end of the world. Immobilizer is VERY common in most newer cars, you're not the only person that's had to do this. Immbedded in the plastic is a RF trasponder chip, it sends a signal to a reciever in your steering coloumn. The reciever reads the code and relays to the ECU that it's the correct key. I can't believe this is a new concept. Just save the money and get a copy.

and_one

Reaction score
i remember when i got my car last november...my dad got a copy for 80-85 bucks...i told him wtf...i have a blank key that looks just like that when my sister use to work at honda...and it is the same key...haha...watever...well i use to get hella little **** from her free...especially keys...haha...wish i had my car then...especially when i needed keyless alarms

FallenAngelHIM

Reaction score
damn man, it is STILL beyond me that a key could cost that much.

thanks for breaking down how the system works totalimmortal.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
A few things...First, if you buy your car from a dealer and you know you have this system, ask for an extra key. It's pretty standard to get two, get the 3rd one at cost pretty much. Second, even if you can't afford the honda key, a regular key is good if you lock your keys in the car. It obviously won't do more than unlock your car but it can save you some hassle. Third, be happy you have the system, the theft rate has dropped dramatically since this.

FallenAngelHIM

Reaction score
naw man, i bought the car used and they only gave me 1 key.
i'm not being a bitch about it, i'm just overdramatic and i didn't understand this concept of transponders.

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
Regardles, where you buy the copied key (Ebay, hardware store, sears) it still has to be re chipped.
Just save up to get it chipped. But save the copy ou have. At least you can still get into the car.

SteadFast

Reaction score
The honda dealer up here got me a copy for $31 chipped and programed... But now I can get free copies if I call up a friend...

I have my main key, then a spare chipped one at home, and a few hardware store copies around (wallet, friends, parents) just incase I lock the keys in... Its also nice to have the unchipped keys cause i can leave the windows down, and radio on and not have to worry about someone walking up and driving away

BTW- the 6th gen keys are the Honda T5 blank (thats with the chip)

Back