Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Re: Russianred's Turbo Build Thread! *UPDATED 5/18/11*

Behind the scenes.. A little somethin somethin:

IMG_7710.jpg

IMG_7711.jpg

IMG_7713.jpg

Just the areas you see in the trunk, weigh nearly 15 pounds.

This will be done all around - trunk, engine bay, and any interior that is exposed during this overhaul. This will also include the silicone-type sh*t that is smudged all around the interior welds.

All areas will be tucked and painted matte black after all this. More to come soon.

I plan to weigh every single little piece that I take off and calculate the total weight loss as the project is finished.

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
Re: Russianred's Turbo Build Thread! *UPDATED 6/6/11*

i thought about gutting my trunk and interior during my build. but then I'd need to figure out a new spot for my sub. I plan to do it someday though since I wanna put a roll bar in the car. great work man! amazing how much that **** weighs. can't wait to see how much fat you shave off by the end. if its as much as I'm thinking its gonna end up being then I'm definitely gonna have to do it hahaha

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score

that silicone stuff is seam sealer,its there for a reason to seal and block out water and moisture on the metal joints,weld and seams...but if you prep the area correctly it shouldn't rust through the years.
but good luck.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score

Those thoughts definitely crossed my mind as I was peeling and scraping off the silicone crap. I'll be sure to hit those areas especially good with rust-o-leum or the like, to prevent any corrosion or rust.

The tar/gunk areas that I am scraping, I think that they provide sound deadening too? If not, what is their real intended purpose? Collecting quite a bit of that now..

Pulled the rear seats and everything back there - the tar gunk is prevalent all over the floor of the body on the seat, and underneath the carpet in foot areas too. It's all coming off.

IMG_7729.jpg

IMG_7730.jpg

Only leaving the third brake light, rear speaker panel upholstered with VIP fabric or straight black, and the two plastic door sill panels painted black. The reason I am leaving those is to help conceal and guide some wiring conduits cleanly.

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score

Yes you are correct.the hard black sheets.are q-pads for vibration and noise cancellation..no biggie but yea make sure u address the seam sealer areas with caution.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score

Thanks for the advice bro! About to head out there again for another scrape-sesh :).

nsjames

Reaction score

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/

those people make brush on seam sealer/noise cancellation stuff.

Might be worht a look to replace the seam sealer you want to scrape off. I'm sure you could be a little neater with it's application than the factory was, and still seal the seams properly.

I'm going to use the Spectrum Sludge to coat the firewall in the box truck, cause it's a loud *** motor.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score

Thank you James, I looked at the site. However, I wasn't able to find the seam-sealer analog, only the noise cancellation and vibration reducing materials. Which do you think I should get specifically for replacing the seam-sealer? I was thinking that Just rust-proofing the areas would be enough, but if I were to get something from this site to seal the seams, what should I get? I am totally unfamiliar with these products.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score

Finished scraping the whole interior from trunk to front:

IMG_7733.jpg

The bucket o tar weighs about 40 pounds at this point.. that's not including the two huge patches under passenger and driver carpet, I left those areas for now. If I need to shave them later I can have easy access.

IMG_7736.jpg

IMG_7740.jpg

IMG_7743.jpg

IMG_7744.jpg

I also cut the carpet evenly so it only accommodates the front seating areas, leaving the rear areas bare.

IMG_7741.jpg

IMG_7742.jpg

Next step is to sand everything down and maybe tack weld around the seams, and fill/shave any excess holes, as well as grind/sand down the welds smoothly. If my buddy has the right machine I can do this, but I am unsure what type of tack welder he has.

I think in the end, it was definitely healthy that I exposed the seams, because it allowed me to access those areas needing attention in terms of rust care.

Last edited:

akoutmos

Reaction score

Looks nice. How much weight have you saved up till this point?

Back