stanleybb50

Reaction score
Re: car stalling out

lettme know how that works out for you dude.. im sure results wont be right away since the problem doesnt happen all that often but maybe ill have to change plugs as well

But yeah dude... give that puppy a tune up before you assume anything... Didn't notice that you said it doesn't happen too often...

plugs/wires/dist cap/rotor

if it doesnt work out, then oh-well, you prally could use a tune up anyway... If it does work out, then problem solved...

Roadrashvtec

Reaction score

I just had the same problem with my car and it was the Fuel Pressure Regulator

did a search but not really sure what to search for so if this has already been brought up please direct me to the thread, or maybe you can help..

ocansionally when i go to start up my car it turns on... then just seems to stall out and the RPMs just drop to 0 and the car basically just dies i guess. and then i have to try again and just hit the gas and put it into gear making sure the RPMS stay high so it doesnt stall out/die.. is this the alternator? a bad fuel line? i have nooo idea.. maybe if some1 has experience with this to tell me what i need to do/get before my car just wont start... thanks

Hondastylez

Reaction score

The same thing has happened to my accord about 2 or 3 times a few months ago. I know i have to take it to the dealer for the ignition switch recall but I'm sure its not that.

It happened while the engine was already warm from driving around. I'd go home and then go out again and the car would turn on and then the RPM's would go all the way down and the car would just die. when it finally turned on and stayed on the engine would shake intermittently whenever i was at a red light.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score

Try cleaning your throttle body very well. If that does not work clean your EGR system. Check your pcv valve as well. If your plugs or coils/wires had a problem your car would have a misfire in one or more cylinders, causing a check engine light and hp/trq power loss. It wouldnt hurt though to check your spark plugs is they are fouled.

Last edited:

Hondastylez

Reaction score

I can try cleaning the throttle body again. The EGR has been cleaned and the code for that went away about 10k miles ago. This happened after I did a tune up. Changed the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor. I don't have any engine codes firing up at all.

I will double check my spark plugs and will clean the throttle body as mentioned before. You think the fuel pressure regulator can be causing this as someone stated a few threads back. ?

The car has not done it since that one time, but I am worried that it could be something that may cause some serious damage if not addressed.

I do want to note that my car just hit 215K Miles.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score

When does this happen? Starting from a cold engine or starting after the car has run for a while on a hot day?

My car used to do this after driving on a hot day in stop and go traffic and then quickly stopping off at a local mall. When I get back into the car the thing would stall out. To get it going I would have to keep giving it gas and quickly putting it into drive. I have a 2000 V6.

I think the heat is vaporizing the gas in the fuel line. To help prevent this I also use the air conditioning more. I think the air conditioning turns on the rad fan which cools the engine compartment more.

This is funny ^^

Seriously - Check the distributor. Mine was doing the samething before it went out.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score

I can try cleaning the throttle body again. The EGR has been cleaned and the code for that went away about 10k miles ago. This happened after I did a tune up. Changed the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor. I don't have any engine codes firing up at all.

I will double check my spark plugs and will clean the throttle body as mentioned before. You think the fuel pressure regulator can be causing this as someone stated a few threads back. ?

The car has not done it since that one time, but I am worried that it could be something that may cause some serious damage if not addressed.

I do want to note that my car just hit 215K Miles.

You may want to look into the Idle air control valve or the Engine coolant temp sensor.

With a bad ECT sensor the car will be hard to start when warm, you can test the sensor with a multimeter is should read around 2.5v volts when cold and around 4.5v when hot. The reason this can affect starting is because your car needs more fuel to start when cold, if your sensor is reading slightly off or completely off, your car will think its cold when its hot and flood the engine a bit. You can test the ECT sensor with a 330ohm 1/2 watt spec resistor. Warm up your car to runnning temp,Put the resistor in the wire connector on the harness. Start the engine, if problem goes away then replace the sensor.

This works for the 4cyl, I am not sure what the readings and specs are for a v6. But I assume they are the same. I surprised to see your car in such nice condition for 215k miles. You wouldnt know by just looking at it.

Back