3.5 swap and AWD conversion information and discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
2 years ago, EVERYONE said a 3.5 swap was impossible....
1 year ago, everyone said achieving over 400hp on Accord is impossible...
2 days ago some people here still thinks a 3.5 is a dream....
you should be more careful using generalizations.

The guy in Taiwan has a TT 6thgen V6. Who cares what these nay sayers have to say.... GO FOR IT! I would love to see what you get from it... I'm thinking about messing with that somewhere down the line too just for kicks!
whoaaaaaaaaa...come to a complete stop, put the car in park, pull up the parking brake, and leave your foot where it is.

adding another turbo is more of a space issue than anything. how can you even compare this to a complete overhaul of the drivetrain AND uni-body?

HPA has done bi-turbos on VR6 engines which share an exhaust manifold on the firewall side of the engine...no "side-mounts" out in the open bay like ive seen on most j-series. remember those dudes...on Gran Turismo 4 and all...featured in pretty much every car magazine...yeah...

just cause we all don't own j-series-powered cars doesn't mean what we say is nonsense.

Tek_Rice

Reaction score
^
Maybe I did over use the generalizations a bit. But I am trying to prove a point. And the point is that, whenever anyone attempts to start a new project, there are always those who will shut us down and try to discourage us. I mean, look at the first few posts of this thread.

converting your car to AWD will be a nightmare. You need a lot of money and a lot of time and someone to leave ur car in their shop for a long long time. You will have better luck by just taking the shell off a saturn vue and custom fitting your 6thgenaccord onto the awd platform. Then getting all the electrical to work.

I admire your ideas and the amount of re-search you have done. But even dumping a 3.5 in your car has only been done by one 6thaccord member on this forum. It was from a acura type s and he bored it from a 3.2 to a 3.5.
if something hasnt been done to a 7-to-11 year old car, theres usually a good reason behind it.

im so in for this thread
lol. Next noob idea is going to be someone making a spaceship from a 6thgen.

I mean.. what the hell man? guy comes in asking some questions, proposing a crazy idea and you shut him down by asking for this thread to be locked? What kind of car enthusiast are you? When did we become so intolerant of new ideas and new innovations? So WHAT if it doesn't work?

They way some of you guys approached this thread is completely disrespectful, and ignorant. I understand this is the internet, and that there aren't any consequences for whatever you say, but at least we're all share something in common. We're car enthusiasts, and we should be adventurous and accepting enough of new ideas. Regardless of how crazy or unlikely it may seem.

For those who knows about the RX7 w/LS1 swap, imagine if someone proposed something as wild as that on this forum. I bet you'll be the first person to flame him away.

I guess ultimately, perhaps sometimes i'm expecting too much maturity from this forum and I'm expecting way too much from some of the senior members here.

And THAT"s my point, and that's MY perspective. You can choose to disagree with it, or ignore it, but that's what's been shown by the numerous posts in this thread.

nyknick1015

Reaction score
I think its still a good idea... once you get the parts coming in, i am really willing to take a look because honda has designed awd cars and as we know ALOT OF THE PARTS ARE INTERCHANGABLE!!! im not saying take a pilot, or elements drive train but you know its worth a try... I would first suggest you start looking at the CRV's rear drive train and comparing it to the accords being that the CRV is most sizable to the accord in height (if you plan on lowering it and width... if you stuff that rear train on the accord and still keep the tank then kudos to u but moving stuff around is always an option

I always proposed this idea back in the day yet every1 said the same thing.. NOT POSSIBLE... you have the space, the time and parts, then go for it... go to the salvage yard and pick ur self up either a rear subframe or a 2nd car tho

once you get the rear subframe to fit, then it should be easy money from there... also try looking at the mustang or subaru rear frames.... the mustang because if you boost, you can understand what u need for high HP and also the subaru to see how AWD works in with the rest of the car

Last edited:

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
^
Maybe I did over use the generalizations a bit. But I am trying to prove a point. And the point is that, whenever anyone attempts to start a new project, there are always those who will shut us down and try to discourage us. I mean, look at the first few posts of this thread.

I mean.. what the hell man? guy comes in asking some questions, proposing a crazy idea and you shut him down by asking for this thread to be locked? What kind of car enthusiast are you? When did we become so intolerant of new ideas and new innovations? So WHAT if it doesn't work?

They way some of you guys approached this thread is completely disrespectful, and ignorant. I understand this is the internet, and that there aren't any consequences for whatever you say, but at least we're all share something in common. We're car enthusiasts, and we should be adventurous and accepting enough of new ideas. Regardless of how crazy or unlikely it may seem.

For those who knows about the RX7 w/LS1 swap, imagine if someone proposed something as wild as that on this forum. I bet you'll be the first person to flame him away.

I guess ultimately, perhaps sometimes i'm expecting too much maturity from this forum and I'm expecting way too much from some of the senior members here.

And THAT"s my point, and that's MY perspective. You can choose to disagree with it, or ignore it, but that's what's been shown by the numerous posts in this thread.

LoL seeing how the Rx7 is already rwd, it doesnt seem so far fetched.

And what do you mean this is the internet and there arent any consequences. I would say this in person if I had to.

I think whoever is hurt by my comments should not read them. It's not my fault, you or someone else cannot take constructive criticism.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, we all don't have to agree on the same things ok.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score

i guess you havent seen what the "RWD conversion" or "accord as drift car?" threads have turned into.

the FD/LS1 swap is actually pretty straightforward (seen one being built in person) since the FD has a long hood and a decent amount of space in the bay. i think its stupid cause it throws away the weight balance of the car, so IF i had an rx7, this would not be the route i would go. anyway...

youve got to realize how many threads we have on here with people contemplating crazy things, who say they ARE going to make them happen, who've done or will be doing ALL their research before starting, who think they can tackle things themselves with very little hands-on experience.

whether it be 600whp 6ga's using a complete F23 (although modded properly) to 10 second door-slammers to dorifto monsters...none of them have happened.

more logically, we've seen some 300-400hp cars with full interiors, N/A builds with dyno sheets, and useful suspension mods for tracking...to name a couple.

and lastly...its bull**** of you to come over and say how "imature" i "am" and put words in my mouth and call me a "bad enthusiast" and that i'd "be the first to flame." an AWD swap is not impossible...but i'm sure glad i'm not the one doing it first. and if i ever got to the point where i even considered swapping to AWD...id have to re-evalute my car situation cause clearly, an accord isnt working for some reason.

finch13

Reaction score
And to add to what Ryan said, the OP put an eBay turbo kit on his motor, which would allow us to assume a) doesn't have deep pockets or b) doesn't have knowledge of reliable parts. Both are okay, and are the exact reason why we come here to discuss.

I think the biggest reason(s) why the flamers flamed is because a) this thread is common and ends up in a failure 99.9% of the time and b) you don't go from eBay turbo kit to $10,000+ build in a matter of weeks or even months.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
exactly finchy...

if someone was here and went from, say, a stock car...to a well-sorted turbo car...to built turbo car...and did it all himself, then i could see it happening.

like dre...he says hes going to do something then does it. i dont doubt when he says "this is next" cause hes shown it with the h22 swap...paint job...BBK...and working on a K swap.

me just sitting here saying i can do things is different. have i put an engine together? yes. have i touched every piece of one? yes. when it comes time (and i have money and space for more cars) will i build an engine myself? probably not, since it will be a "high strung" engine. thats a job best left to the pros. putting together an OEM rebuild...id do i myself, yeah.

like...i have plans for how i want to build a car. i have nothing to show for it besides "talk" and "ideas" at the moment.

almightyfargoth

Reaction score
You may not have the best judgement if you can magically pull all this money out of your *** and want this to be the first use for it.

Why not just get a Subaru?...most of the time it just comes down to getting a Subie to be AWD happy.
I'd love to have a rear biased AWD setup on my car, but this just isn't something you can do willy nilly.

This thread has gone on way too long. I mean, his questions have basically been answered.

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
i don't see this thread going anywhere...all i see is pointless arguing...

OP...your the only person doing this...so...unless you post a thread saying that your doing this...and posting pics of you doing it...its gonna end up like this everytime...

i'll keep this thread open...but...guys...see this as a nice way of saying stay on topic and your posts need tech info/ideas in them...if you wanna hate on the idea just stay out...cause we've alerady heard your sideline opinion...let him try

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back