30 mph over the speed limit

9450erick

Reaction score
that was also another question i had. i have tested my speedometer many times. with other cars and gps, and it consistently reads about 5-7mph higher
i have different size tires. as i look in my rear view i switch into another lane (previously in the fast now into the second to the left) well i see that another car is following me, its the cop. i look @ my speedometer 80mph; needle is pointing straight up! but what do i say to the cop. i was going 80! he would again just say i paced you, i dont see how even if i had told him he would reduce the speed!

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
should have asked him how he determined the speed..... if it's radar, u could have asked to look at it

WizadOfOz

Reaction score
From my experience: I was 16 and I had taken a road trip with some friends down to california for the summer. On the way back, driving trough highway 101 I was stopped b/c I was speeding (around 100) and I was clocked in at ~85. I received a letter in the mail a couple weeks later with an amount close to $500.
I ended up having to pay for the ticket and taking an online traffic school course so I wouldn't have to get any points towards my license. (well, permit at the time. ) :doh: Well, lesson learned. I don't speed like that anymore. It's just asking for trouble and you never know when you could cause an accident. Granted that highway was almost empty but that's when the highway patrols are most alert.

Just my 0.2. Drive safely and respect the rules of the road. There are rules for a reason, I'm sure I wouldn't feel safe knowing there are maniacs going 100 in a 30mph street. :huh:

9450erick

Reaction score
should have asked him how he determined the speed..... if it's radar, u could have asked to look at it

i did he said he paced me! using his speedometer
he said he paced me for 1/2 a mile which @ 85 is less than 30 sec!

Last edited:

9450erick

Reaction score
From my experience: I was 16 and I had taken a road trip with some friends down to california for the summer. On the way back, driving trough highway 101 I was stopped b/c I was speeding (around 100) and I was clocked in at ~85. I received a letter in the mail a couple weeks later with an amount close to $500.
I ended up having to pay for the ticket and taking an online traffic school course so I wouldn't have to get any points towards my license. (well, permit at the time. ) :doh: Well, lesson learned. I don't speed like that anymore. It's just asking for trouble and you never know when you could cause an accident. Granted that highway was almost empty but that's when the highway patrols are most alert.

Just my 0.2. Drive safely and respect the rules of the road. There are rules for a reason, I'm sure I wouldn't feel safe knowing there are maniacs going 100 in a 30mph street. :huh:
yeah i feel you! damn 500 is alot!

Last edited:

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
the law doesn't prevent them from showing us the readings... ppl just don't bother asking in the first place

truWarier02

Reaction score
Eh, I always do 65-70 on the freeway, usually 65. People just go around me, sometimes I even get beamed by 18-wheelers :lawl:, but whatever, I don't care.

Last edited:

talontsiawd

Reaction score
the law doesn't prevent them from showing us the readings... ppl just don't bother asking in the first place

Oh, I am just saying that they don't have to. Most people think they have the right to see.

To everyone, pacing and estimating speeds is common practice here. It seems like more of my friends get tickets that way than with radar. My only ticket was estimated.

2002CG3coupe

Reaction score
By law local cops have to. They don't use radar/laser so you have to be 10mph over to cover any errors. State police have radar but can only use while stationary. With radar you have to be 6 over to be stopped. State police usually 74+ in a 55 or 80+ in a 65 will get you an invitation to the road side disco.

Same here in NY well at least the parkway I drive on

Back