6 gears > 4 [6spd + 3.2 swap]...completed.

changaroo

Reaction score
Re: 6 > 4 [6spd + 3.2 swap]

good luck selling your j30 parts, lol. theyre impossible to get rid of!

just make sure the motor youre getting is good. you dont want to deal with a bad motor, albeit you cant really find out 100% until you put it in.

make sure you leak down / compression test the motor you plan on getting. also replace the timing belt / water pump / tensioners while everything is out. which will be another $~200, which is nothing compared to doing it with it in the car.

you might also want to consider getting aftermarket mounts with the 3.2, the motor will eat your stock j30 mounts. ~$300 from innovative

now it starts adding up :D

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

good luck selling your j30 parts, lol. theyre impossible to get rid of!

just make sure the motor youre getting is good. you dont want to deal with a bad motor, albeit you cant really find out 100% until you put it in.

make sure you leak down / compression test the motor you plan on getting. also replace the timing belt / water pump / tensioners while everything is out. which will be another $~200, which is nothing compared to doing it with it in the car.

you might also want to consider getting aftermarket mounts with the 3.2, the motor will eat your stock j30 mounts. ~$300 from innovative

now it starts adding up :D

haha, I believe it. What did you do with your J30?

Yeah I don't want to deal with a bad motor. I have made it clear to Rich that this car is my daily driver, and for me to even consider swapping the engine, I need to know the setup will be solid to the best of his knowledge. He said when he bought them the junkyard had plugged & prepped them. I will require that we leak down/compression test the motor for sure, and doing the timing maintenance is a great suggestion. Glad you said that.

When I asked him about the mounts he seemed to think the stock ones would be fine. But it is a bigger motor all around, so it couldn't hurt. Hmm...

Yeah this swap is beginning to look closer to $4k. haha :ugh:

Mikey

Reaction score

So yeah, this is now a 6spd 3.2 swap thread! :lawl:
See Chris. I told you...

Now all you need is a 3.2 ;)
:p

This thread, and project, has now gone from pretty awesome to Epic. Your car is now my favorite one on this site. Good luck and I hope THIS part of it goes well now. Rich seems to know what he's doing so I dont think you'll have too many issues. :)

dtraill27

Reaction score

Good luck with everything. I vote a TSX or SI for the knob. They both look sweet

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score

Swap that engine sir. You are getting this done by Rich (with your help as well) and It's a perfect opportunity. Keep the j30 for when people break parts on theirs here. I know you're a believer in doing it right and this would be right and the perfect opportunity.

6 speed swap. - check
3.2 engine swap - checkmate

Good game sir!

Well played....

Well played.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Re: 6 > 4 [Six speed content]

^Yeah, it's nice to have two. Since Rich has done this so many times I'll be eager to hear his recommendation.

BIG update. :)

I was talking with Rich the other day and he informed me he has a few J32a2's lying around, and asked if I had considered swapping the motor too. I hadn't because I was thinking I'd like to try that on my own someday, as it's a little more straightforward than swapping the tranny.

However, I am thinking about doing it as the added cost is minimal, and if the motor/trans assembly is out anyway...it makes sense to do now. I am a pretty sensible person so it's hard for me, personally, to justify getting rid of a perfectly good motor just to buy another. Plus I had plans for the 3.0, albeit all cosmetic.

But the motivation is that Rich's J32 motors have between 50k and 70k miles on them, and my J30 has 131k. And then of course there's the powurrrrr. :drool: So it's pretty tempting. Thing is, I may have to take a complete loss on the J30, unless anyone here would want parts (engine covers, IM,valve covers, etc). I may take off of it what I can, and bring them back with me to sell parts. Or we may just bring the whole thing to a metal scrap yard, and get a few bucks for it. :skurred:

So yeah, this is now a 6spd 3.2 swap thread! :lawl:

whoa.jpg

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

This thread, and project, has now gone from pretty awesome to Epic. Your car is now my favorite one on this site. Good luck and I hope THIS part of it goes well now. Rich seems to know what he's doing so I dont think you'll have too many issues. :)

lol thank you. But before you decide that, let's see if it works out. lol I do have to be careful, since the car is my DD. Rich won't let me walk away screwed though, we should be able to make it happen.

Good luck with everything. I vote a TSX or SI for the knob. They both look sweet

I have a dumb question. And honestly I've never known this. Are shift knobs threaded so that they are always right side up when they are fully tightened? I can't stand when I see knobs with the shift pattern at an angle or something.

Swap that engine sir. You are getting this done by Rich (with your help as well) and It's a perfect opportunity. Keep the j30 for when people break parts on theirs here. I know you're a believer in doing it right and this would be right and the perfect opportunity.

6 speed swap. - check
3.2 engine swap - checkmate

Good game sir! Well played....Well played.

lol it's mostly him doing it, but I want to do everything I can to help. Even now this swap is such an intangible concept to wrap my head around, but when I see it firsthand, I think I'll have a completely new understanding.

Rich is a nice guy, invented this madness in the first place, and is working with me well so far, so if there was ever a time to do this...it is now. The engine must check out before doing anything, and if it does...green light.

btw I can't keep the J30 block (too big to bring back in my car), but I could take as may parts off as possible. Thing is I'm moving in June, and I'd want to sell them right away because I've been trying to sell off all my stuff lately, so I don't want to acquire more. I'll see how much a scrap yard will give me, lol. Poor J30. :(

dtraill27

Reaction score

I have a dumb question. And honestly I've never known this. Are shift knobs threaded so that they are always right side up when they are fully tightened? I can't stand when I see knobs with the shift pattern at an angle or something.

Honestly I don't know either. I would imagine they would be but if not I would think you could tweak it enough to be straight. These are the two knobs I was talking about. The SI is heavy but gives nice throws. The TSX I have only driven once so I can't comment on feel but I like the look of the perforated leather.
SI:
3436428756_d253540cfc_o.jpg

TSX:
zj8dhk.jpg

SykVSyx

Reaction score

That Skunk knob was the best one so far, IMO, especially for the look that you're going for Chris.

Congrats on the 3.2 upgrade!

With Rich being so close, maybe I need to enlist BOTH his and Paul's services!

Back