6th gen retrofit questions.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
I have been considering a retrofit for awhile now and I have finally decided to go ahead and get one. However I am about 75/25 on either having HIDillusionz make me one or attempt one myself first. I would really like to attempt it myself to be honest, has nothing to do with cost issues it's just I like to try things first. I however do have a few questions before I make a final decision.

I have searched high and low but have yet to find a proper DIY, most that I find either A) missing pictures B) missing info regarding mounting, alignment & cutting. So with that being said here are my questions;

Does anyone know of a PROPER DIY for 6th gen Accords?

I have settled on JNC's rotational method for mounting, but I have yet to see this done in a 6th gen. Any input?

I'm also 75/25 on my projector choice. My first and obvious choice is TSX projectors due to the ease of retrofitting them into 6th gen lamps. My second would be s2k, but I constantly hear how much of a pain they can be to retro due to their size. Now after some more reading I came across the FX projectors or the Hybrid TFX's, not sure on the difficulty of retrofitting those or even if they can fit in 6th gen lamps. I would really like to hear from any 6th gen Accord owners regarding projector choices I listed.

Color mod's. I see a lot of people doing them, but then I hear how it can effect your cut-off's sharpness and possibly your lighting output. So if you have; TSX, s2k or FX color modded projectors I would love to hear your input.

To leave the low beam housing chromed or to paint? I haven't seen much on this but I am a little worried that the chrome housing could cause some stray light and glare. Not sure if I'm correct or not though.

Do the 6th gen Accord headlamps have reference marks in the bowls like I see with other headlamps?

TYC clear lens. From what I understand the fluted lens of the OEM 6th gen Accord lamps can mess with the cut-off? Also I have been searching high and low for just the lens from the TYC's with no luck, so if someone has a source or know of some, I would appreciate it if you could hook me up.

OEM vs. OEM Style aftermarket lamps. I currently have OEM lamps on my car right now but I can't really afford the down time that my car would take while a retrofit is in process, I don't really want to spend $350 on new OEM's, and it is a pain to come across a clean used set of OEM's. So I have been considering picking up a pair of OEM aftermarkets. I am just worried about the quality of the adjustment screws etc.. with these lamps. Anyone have experience with them?

Bi-Xenon or Single Xenon? I would really like to hear from anyone who has a Bi-Xenon in a 6th gen, or better yet someone who has had both Bi-Xenon and Single Xenon.

iHazSnail

Reaction score
get in touch with jason. His retro has the sickest output i have seen thus far

finch13

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing a retro in the spring time and have a used set of '00 sedan OEMs coming my way for less than $100 shipped. You can wet sand and polish the used lens to make them look like new (aka without pitting) fairly easily.

Also would like to read up an some good info too...

shavedaccord

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing a retro in the spring time and have a used set of '00 sedan OEMs coming my way for less than $100 shipped. You can wet sand and polish the used lens to make them look like new (aka without pitting) fairly easily.

Also would like to read up an some good info too...
Well I would go for OEM's in a heart beat but the problem is finding a decent, complete set from someone/company that is willing to ship them express, rather than ground.

finch13

Reaction score
Well I would go for OEM's in a heart beat but the problem is finding a decent, complete set from someone/company that is willing to ship them express, rather than ground.

Why express?

Junkyards usually have them for about $60/ea. Shouldnt have any issue getting the DEPO ones and putting projectors in them either.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
Why express?

Junkyards usually have them for about $60/ea. Shouldnt have any issue getting the DEPO ones and putting projectors in them either.
I have some down time, so I would like to get started on the project ASAP. I used to have Depo's and the output was horrible, but never really messed with the adjustment aspects so I don't know how the quality is.

finch13

Reaction score
Well you shouldnt have output issues if youre putting projectors in, unless the high beam output is horrible as well... high beam retro FTW? haha.

I hear ya on down time... I just plan on doing mine over a few months along with blackhousing, wet sanding, LEDs/CCFLs...

shavedaccord

Reaction score
Well you shouldnt have output issues if youre putting projectors in, unless the high beam output is horrible as well... high beam retro FTW? haha.

I hear ya on down time... I just plan on doing mine over a few months along with blackhousing, wet sanding, LEDs/CCFLs...
Well I was referring to the overall output of the headlamps in stock forum, they were horrible. High beam was nasty too. lol no high beam retro, that's why I was considering bi-xenons. As for CCFL's and LED's I would consider not doing those. After much research and talking with Rich (HIDillusions, Customlightz) I decided not to because of issues with them burning out and what not. He said majority of the retro's he done with CCFL's and LED's were the clients choice even after telling them not too.

finch13

Reaction score
Well, I don't think I'm going the CCFL route, they simply cannot handle the conditions of driving. As far as LEDs go, I may wire them myself so I know they wont burn out for a while. I'd rather have LEDs that look good for a while than the ghey half lit lighting on the strip.

Back