a real answer to Throttle Body Spacers...do they work?

Accord_V6_400m

Reaction score
Interesting points, I would argue with Egi7 that the extra volume does help, ever hear about helmholtz principle and the use of resonance to aid induction? Why else do you think so many cars, and especially Hondas have variable IM's? To try and get a good balance of power during different points in the powerband, of course. There are cases such as the RSX-S and Civic Si (K20A2) where the manifolds are not variable and just large volume period.

In this manner a manifold spacer/TB spacer would be adding volume, thus theoretically power gains, but as most will notice these gains in volume are not huge by any means.

Take a look at the plenum chambers available for the J32A2, They add bigger end tanks for the IM to increase volume, and these showed excellent gains throughout the powerband , but we have more evidence of this for hgher rpm operation vs lower, I would think that it might hurt lower rpm operation but we'll have to wait on a better dyno that lets say goes in 5th gear from 45-50mph.

Product:
http://cl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191848
Gains:
http://cl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192574
counterpoint:
http://cl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2731876&posted=1#post2731876

Although i agree that in terms of fuel atomization that spacers on modern fuel injected motors do nothing. One has to ask how long the air will stay swirling if it begins right after the TB and by the time it reaches the en of the lower plenum runners where the fuel injectors sit.

Fuel atomization does give you better fuel economy if you tune for it, it allows you to use less fuel. Just check out the VTEC-E operation and those lean running JDM motors (45:1 and 60:1 AFR's) Although the latter does not have as much to do with atomization but more a lack there of since it relies on a dense AF charge to be sparked in the center of the piston where a dish is located and then the whole concept works during crusie operation.

98akkordLX

Reaction score
sweet write up bro, I've always thought the same that if anything, it would restrict the air from going in the engine and come in the way of it. Im glad someone did a write up about this!! much props.

twrbackman

Reaction score
Okay since I'm going for becoming an Automotive engineer we have actually tested this and several other "cheap horsepower ideas". The whole air vortex or whatever doesn't actually work. It just caused turbulance. If you really think about it what does the spacer do???? it just makes the intake tracks longer on the manifold correct>? exactly so what that equates to is more torque in the bottom end but really then on the top end when ur trying to just cram air in there the air has another 3/4" or however big spacer to go thru so it actually reduces high rpm horse power.

HERES A REAL HORSEPOWer secret that will actually save i bet 90% off u $. In our dyno and flowbench testing of K&N filters vs OEM (paper) filters the OEM ones always produced more power. I know some of u are probably going to say that ohhh u oiled it to much blah blah blah well we did I believe 10 different tests (amount oil sprayed was variable) and results were always same paper>k&n

bsivoljr

Reaction score
When you guys say nothing what are you comparing it to, a T/C? It doesn't provide a major gain, but it's definitely noticable. I just installed one and as advertised it slightly improves the low to mid range torque. 1st gear is the sickest in terms of enhancement. Other than that it make the turbo sound, but it does actually do something. Everybody hates on them. If you have the money and want something a little fun buy one. If your expecting huge gains like most of the critics dont buy it.

FallenAngelHIM

Reaction score
When you guys say nothing what are you comparing it to, a T/C? It doesn't provide a major gain, but it's definitely noticable. I just installed one and as advertised it slightly improves the low to mid range torque. 1st gear is the sickest in terms of enhancement. Other than that it make the turbo sound, but it does actually do something. Everybody hates on them. If you have the money and want something a little fun buy one. If your expecting huge gains like most of the critics dont buy it.

Like I said, I would still like to see numbers. I'm not a critic against it, I'm a critic against "felt invisible horsepower." People always feel something when they add something to their car. I'm sure in a blind test someone without a spacer will say they felt something if told there was a spacer in their car.

Back