AC doesn't work right, Compressor clutch makes noise

kashmeister

Reaction score
Hey guys this has been happening for a month or so...

The system blew hot air, and then I recharged the refrigerant. When the AC is turn on, the clutch engages and it starts compressing. The compressor makes noise (rapid clicking, was told it is bearings) and slighty cools. It is so ineffective that the fan needs to stay on high (4) and it still isn't cold enough. The compressor is constantly running when AC is on. When I redline, it deactivates the compressor and instantly hot air blows in.

I don't know whats wrong, but I bought a replecement compressor + clutch and I want to install it. Can I do this myself? I know theres like 4 bolts but I don't want to kill myself opening the high or the low...

advice much appreciated

redlinevtec

Reaction score
there's a few things I highly recommend you should replace and do before you even try to install the compressor. first you should have the system pressurized at a shop for leaks. remember, if moisture gets into the system, the system will fail to cool. whenever you mess with the A/C system be careful! it's pressurized. so make sure you know what the hell your doing. if you don't know what your doing I would take it to a shop. also make sure all your hoses & piping have no leaks or cracks when your having the system pressurized. you should also check if your condenser has no leaks or cracks. usually you'll see wet spots on the fins of the condenser if it's leaking. anytime you mess with the A/C system you should have it evacuated and recharged with the proper amount R134A. too much freon will f**k up your compressor or to little will have little effect. i hope you didn't put too much... those little recharge kits you buy at the auto store usually don't work well unless you know what your doing. stay away from the stop leaks. those usually just clog up the system. anytime you open up the system or add a new compressor with a new clutch you should replace the drier/receiver and expansion valve and make sure your evaporator is working properly and not clogged. your compressor you have in the car probably works fine, but you probably have one of the components above not functioning properly. I bought my own parts and replaced everything above except the evaporator. i had a shop install it for me. everything came out close to a grand. but I replaced everything just in case something else ended up failing. but if your gonna try to install that compressor make sure you pressurize your system for leaks, evacuate the system, make sure you add the proper amount of oil in the compressor, replace the drier/receiver and recharge the system. usually this isn't a job for a novice mechanic unless you have the right tools like a vacuum to get all the moister and freon out safely and dispose of it properly. I'm sure most of us here don't condemn hurting the environment. after all that freon hurts our ozone layer. plus you don't want to freeze a finger or limb off. lol ^_^ good luck!

kashmeister

Reaction score
Well, I know the compressor is bad...

I don't want to spend a fortune, I just want to fix whats broken and not the entire system. I was planning on replacing the compressor and then seeing if that fixes the problem. I don't think there are leaks, because it wouldn't cool at all if the refrigerant escaped.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
When u add ac u need to suck out all the air from the high pressure line with a pump. U need to change the silica dyer because u just exposed it iwth moister.

The compressor has oil. When u feel all the air is out of the system after 10min of pumping. U need to pinch the line off with a vice grips and dip the other end in about 3oz of oil for the compressor. Be sure not to allow air in by pinching it off again before u suck up all the oil.

With the new compressor installed and oil is fed into the compressor(assuming there was not any to begin with)you are now ready to fill.

Put a cold hose over the ac condensor not the compressor. Turn car on ac full blast, begin charging ac at LOW pressure side.

Look around where the ac lines go into the firewall and then exit. You should fill ur ac until u feel the exit lines coming from the firewall are chilled.

Your ac system is then properly filled with enough freon to chill the evaporator and then some. Stop charging ac NOW once u feel the line cold, or else u run a overcharge risk.

Enjoy ur cold ac....and ur welcome. Might I suggest u research or let a pro do it before u **** anything else up

finch13

Reaction score
Yeah... no.

You could install the compressor yourself. I would recommend changing the receiver/drier, but it's not required. You can pour oil into the compressor before connecting the lines, no awkward ways of sucking it in...

If it were me, I'd install the compressor with no oil (measure oil poured out of old compressor). Drive to the shop down the street, tell them to evacuate it and put x ounces of oil in, then recharge it. This is the safest way to not destroy a brand new compressor by overcharging it will those stupid cans.

It NEEDS to be evactuaed/vacuumed or else your gonna have super high high side pressures because of the air in the system.

redlinevtec

Reaction score
Oh yeah, we forgot to add this little warning. Sometimes In rare occasions, if there is to much pressure in the high side and too much refrigerant in the compressor, you can overload the compressor and it can explode and shoot out of the side of the car. but that rarely happens. i think...lol let us know what your gonna do.

kashmeister

Reaction score
I am going to what finch recommended...

I plan on opening the line to let the pressure out, taking out AC fuse so no one can **** it up while im fixing it, taking out old compressor and measuring oil, swapping new one without oil and taking it to a shop or something to test for leaks and put in r134a

finch13

Reaction score
Oh yeah, we forgot to add this little warning. Sometimes In rare occasions, if there is to much pressure in the high side and too much refrigerant in the compressor, you can overload the compressor and it can explode and shoot out of the side of the car. but that rarely happens. i think...lol let us know what your gonna do.

Yes, once you add too much refrigerant there is not enough energy being transferred to make a complete phase change and sends liquid refrigerant through the compressor. That ****s **** up.

I plan on opening the line to let the pressure out, taking out AC fuse so no one can **** it up while im fixing it, taking out old compressor and measuring oil, swapping new one without oil and taking it to a shop or something to test for leaks and put in r134a

Make sure you tell the shop you didn't add any oil. I'd tell you to add PAG oil yourself, but there's no sense in buying a big bottle of oil. Also, make sure it's oil + UV dye.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score

you have a pressure switch that activates the clutch when there is enough pressure in the lines. No need to remove fuses, just unplug the battery every time you work on the car.

The new compressor might have oil in it, plus, the shop will do it all for you. Make sure you dont destroy the o-rings when you dismantling the pipes or you will cause leaks.

Lastly, you supposed to evacuate the freon in to a container, its illegal to do it any other way. It burns the ozone and it will **** up your lungs if you breath it in.

finch13

Reaction score
The new compressor may have residual assembly lube in it, but it won't have PAG oil in it. Guaranteed.

Back