AC doesn't work right, Compressor clutch makes noise

kashmeister

Reaction score
The battery terminals are pretty corroded, rather just pull the fuse...

Forgot to mention, the compressor isn't "new" its a working pull from a rear ended 67k 2000 4cyl and it came ceran wrapped and greasy as hell

And as for the environment, I've probably done worse things...

redlinevtec

Reaction score
The battery terminals are pretty corroded, rather just pull the fuse...

Forgot to mention, the compressor isn't "new" its a working pull from a rear ended 67k 2000 4cyl and it came ceran wrapped and greasy as hell

And as for the environment, I've probably done worse things...

*slaps hand on head*
:bash:
don't hurt the environment. that's illegal.

kashmeister

Reaction score
Alright I did it...
When I was removing the refrigerant, I could only see refrigerant come out for maybe 1sec. The rest looked like air. I pushed in the low side needle and at the end i pushed in the high side needle, barely any came out of the high. I also lost the plastic screw cap for the high side. The fact that there was barely refrigerant in it and only a month ago I gave it to my friend's shop to recharge makes me think either hes an idiot and he let in air or there is a leak...

What should I do now?

redlinevtec

Reaction score
Alright I did it...
When I was removing the refrigerant, I could only see refrigerant come out for maybe 1sec. The rest looked like air. I pushed in the low side needle and at the end i pushed in the high side needle, barely any came out of the high. I also lost the plastic screw cap for the high side. The fact that there was barely refrigerant in it and only a month ago I gave it to my friend's shop to recharge makes me think either hes an idiot and he let in air or there is a leak...

What should I do now?

Have the system pressurized for leaks. Did you do that yet? Did you check the fins of the condenser? Is it clogged? Are your hoses good? Any bubbles? Having the system pressurized for leaks is the key. I don't think your friend is an idiot. Remember if you don't run your A/C at least once a month your seals will get brittle and not hold in the necessary oil to circulate throughout the car and keep everything running. Also your receiver/dryer is like a filter. That may be the original on the car if you haven't replaced that. There's so many things that can be the culprit...I ended up replacing the evaporator today because the plastic tubing was broken. Parts/Labor/Evac & Recharge cost me $207. A/C can be expensive...

kashmeister

Reaction score
Condensor is a little worn out, but no serious damage. I washed it through the radiator, seems fine.
Hoses looked good, the o-ring was good. Although when I took off the compressor and looked inside it was very foamy.

Everything is original on the car.

When I take it to pressurize it for leaks, will it tell me where the leak is and what parts i have to replace?

Right now the compressor is in without PAG oil or r134a.... Is that ok?

finch13

Reaction score
Condensor is a little worn out, but no serious damage. I washed it through the radiator, seems fine.
Hoses looked good, the o-ring was good. Although when I took off the compressor and looked inside it was very foamy.

Everything is original on the car.

When I take it to pressurize it for leaks, will it tell me where the leak is and what parts i have to replace?

Right now the compressor is in without PAG oil or r134a.... Is that ok?

Yes, just don't use the A/C or defrost modes. When you bring it in to get charged, they're probably going to tell you "we'll charge it and add oil+UV dye. It could leak out in a day or it may take a year, but when it stops working, bring it back and we'll use the blacklight to find the leak."

Don't forget to tell them you didn't add more oil after you installed the new compressor.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
I dont think the pressure switch will activate the clutch anyways, even if you do turn on the defrost.

kashmeister

Reaction score
Alright sorry for the late update. I took it to my friends shop were his douchebag mechanic did it for me. I asked him about vacuuming stuff and he was like "I've been doing this **** for 42 years" He checked the pressures, put some dye, and then put in freon and PAG oil. at the end it was about 45psi. The AC works now, the compressor is quiet and its good so far. Definitely not the ice cold that I like, but its decent. According to the guy theres no leaks and i'd have to replace everything for it to get colder. I feel like the guy was a huge dumbass but I didn't bother, I got the work done for free. He found a socket in one of the holes on the frame i left and he *****ed at me saying I'm gonna **** up the hood... and later he told me to buy a bigger intake filter and drill a hole in the intake and put a 5th injector, WTF.

Can't really complain cause it was free. I know my school just got one of those $5000 A/C recharge machines that reuse the r134a so I'll wait and see. Its not that urgent because chicago winter is almost here now!

ZFreak

Reaction score
The new compressor may have residual assembly lube in it, but it won't have PAG oil in it. Guaranteed.

That depends. I bought a brand new OEM Honda Denso compressor for my accord and it was shipped it oil already in it. I bought it from hondapartsunlimited (showcase Honda) and asked them prior to purchasing it. Installed a new receiver/drier, evaporator, expansion valve, and all o-rings. as well. It's been fine for over 25k miles. Correctly vaccumed down and charged with a $3000 machine (by a good friend at the Honda dealer).

Back