Alignment Inquiry..

sweagle02

Reaction score
Hope you guys are doin good tonight and can assist me on this question :rwerd:

I am aware that after installing coilovers, it is recommended to wait about two weeks (correct me if I'm wrong) and then get an alignment.

I've ordered wheels and will order the tires separately and hopefully soon. When I get the wheels mounted and balanced at a shop, I'm guessing they will be aligned there too (again, correct me if I'm wrong).

So my question is, should I install my coilovers with my 16's on now and about two weeks later, get the 18's mounted and the car aligned since one should get the car aligned about two weeks later any way. Kind of like killing two birds with one stone.

I hope you cats understand what I am trying to convey. Thanks in advance!!

tnguyen600

Reaction score
When you put wheels on..you don't need an alignment. Thats what the balancing is for. You're fine with either choice i believe.

truWarier02

Reaction score
Hmm, well if you're changing your wheels anyway, you don't HAVE to get an alignment as of now since you're not worried bout killing your stockies(not like 2 weeks will kill it anyway). You can just install your coilovers now and get the alignment when you put the new wheels on at the same time.

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
If I were you and if you were installing your coilovers yourself I would go ahead and install the coilovers on the 16s and then wait to get an alignment when the wheels are on. Keep in mind if you go from coilovers lowered on 16s to coilovers lowered on 18s you will probrably have to adjust the height accordingly, thats what I had to do. When I switch out from my 17s to 16s I end up having to adjust the height a tad. Either way you will be fine either installing them now and then mounting the 18s two weeks later or waiting all together and doing it all at once.

I personally would wait until I put the 18s on and then maybe the same day or next day I would install the coilovers so then I could get the exact drop I am looking for before I would get an alignment. but thats just me.

sweagle02

Reaction score
If I were you and if you were installing your coilovers yourself I would go ahead and install the coilovers on the 16s and then wait to get an alignment when the wheels are on. Keep in mind if you go from coilovers lowered on 16s to coilovers lowered on 18s you will probrably have to adjust the height accordingly, thats what I had to do. When I switch out from my 17s to 16s I end up having to adjust the height a tad. Either way you will be fine either installing them now and then mounting the 18s two weeks later or waiting all together and doing it all at once.

I personally would wait until I put the 18s on and then maybe the same day or next day I would install the coilovers so then I could get the exact drop I am looking for before I would get an alignment. but thats just me.

Well ya my plan was to install them with the 16's and adjust them to look good with the 16's and then when I slap the 18's on, i'd adjust them to look good on the 18's.

Would it make sense to get the wheels and coilovers installed the same day, adjust the coilovers and then go back for an alignment two weeks later?

rvangj

Reaction score
waste of money to get alignment done unless you installed a chamber kit to. The only adjustment they can do is the toe. (if u dont unbolt the tie rods) If it drives in a stright line after coil install dont bother. Tire wear will be same even with one done.

Fundillo

Reaction score
waste of money to get alignment done unless you installed a chamber kit to. The only adjustment they can do is the toe. (if u dont unbolt the tie rods) If it drives in a stright line after coil install dont bother. Tire wear will be same even with one done.
Toe is the only adjustment you need. Toe kills tires.
just wait until everything is on unless you want to do measuring when you put bigger wheels on to keep your toe the same (it wont change a lot or at all depending on total height of wheels+tires)

Fuzz

Reaction score
Wait a Minute!!

Balancing, and Alignment are TWO Completely different things.

Balancing a wheel means the operator spins the rim and tire combination (known as a wheel :) ) on a machine and checks for "out of balance". What that means is he looks for a heavy spot on the wheel, and then adds weight on the other side to correct it. This must be done whenever you install new tires on rims.

Shaking between 50mph and 70mph is 98% the cause of an unbalanced wheel.

Getting an Alignment means your having the vehicle checked to make sure that all your wheels are pointed in the right direction and your car is driving straight, and your tires are wearing properly.

*CAMBER*
When you lower a car, you get camber on the wheels (why they looked angled in). If this is not corrected on a daily driver, you will start to wear the inside edge of your tire, causing it to wear out pre-maturely.

*TOE*
When your driving down the road and your car like to pull to one side, or your car is "crab walking", aka driving straight but your body looks like its angled this is because the toe alignment is off. Driving with lots of toe will cause the tire to have a shaving effect and will greatly reduce the lifespan of your tire.

It is a good practice to spend the money to align your car once a year, depending on how bad the roads are and the amount of stress you put on your car by lowering, etc.

Many alignment shops offer the ability to CHECK your alignment for say 25$, and then if it needs correcting they will charge you the extra 40$ or whatever it may be to fix the problem.

If you've lowered your car you will need adjustable arms in the rear to fix the camber wear. Rear toe is Factory adjustable, front toe is factory adjustable.

That being said...

Wait until your suspension is on, and your wheels are on, and two weeks before you get an alignment.

And Camber will kill tires also, but toe will kill them almost double.

Last edited:
Back