auto tranny flush

cajun

Reaction score
Don't get it flushed and don't bring it anywhere to get done. Go to your dealer and buy 3 Qts of Honda ATF. You don't even have to jack up the car. You should be able to take out the plug and have enough clearance for a pan. According to my owner's manual this will only get out 1/3 (about 2.6 Qts) of the old fluid, so they recommend drain/refill, drive it and repeat the whole process for a total of 3 refills. That whole process would cost $150 at my local dealer. I just do one drain/refill a year while I'm under there doing the oil. Also, my dealer doesn't recommend a new washer each time, but I guess it wouldn't hurt. As far as I can tell it doesn't crush like the oil plug washer.

skep

Reaction score
oh wow now im tripping. should i jus drain/refill right now? or is it too late? and i guess my tranny is going to go bye bye right?

cajun

Reaction score
I would go ahead and do the drain/refill 3 times with Honda ATF if I were you. Even if the flush didn't hurt your tranny, Jiffy most probably put some other brand of ATF in your car. Honda claims that you should only use their ATF. Maybe they are just trying to sell their (VERY) expensive product, but I'll pay the extra $3-$4/qt for peace of mind.

skep

Reaction score
alright i forgot about the whole flush thing and i went in to jiffy lube and got my tranny flushed....i mean hey what can i say it was free..i had to do something but uhh should i be saving money to get a new tranny anytime soon?

00AccordLX5spd

Reaction score
If your tranny is still shifting correctly it will probably be fine. A flush won't necessarily kill it, but it is not good at all for it. I would leave it be for a while, then maybe I would drain & refill with genuine Honda ATF.

00AccordLX5spd

Reaction score
The drain plug is right on the tranny. A 3/8" ratchet fits right in to loosen it. You fill through the dipstick hole.
If you crawl under your car and look at the tranny, the drain plug has a hole in it that fits a 3/8" ratchet with no socket attached.

Reaction score
I've had a few quarts of Honda ATF sitting around for two or three years . . . does that stuff ever go bad (like break down into less useful fluid)?

Last edited:
Back