Battery Brands: Do They Really Matter?

Mikey

Reaction score
Does battery brand or where you get it, really matter, as long as it has a decent warranty?

Everyone says "Optima" but, really? $160? I can go to O'reillys and get one of their batteries, with 725CCA and a 3-year warranty, for half the price. Hell, I can get an ACDelco battery, with a 2-yr warranty, from work, for $75.

Deep cyclye Yellow-Top or 720CCA Red-Top, 3-yr warranty...$160
O'reilly SuperStart Premium 550CCA, 2-yr Warranty...............$76
O'reilly SuperStart Extreme 725CCA, 3-yr Warranty...............$86

Tell me why, except for the name, that the Optima would be the better choice?

Ive had Interstate and DieHard, and both crapped out on me. The DieHard was in my 4G and it lasted maybe a year. The Interstate is what came in my 6G and it's lasted me 16 months.

The Wal-Mart batteries Ive had lasted me longer than that. And if/when they did crap out, they were still under warranty and had free replacement.

So, why wouldnt a battery from O'reillys be the same?

If a battery has a 2 or 3 year, free replacement, regardless of brand, why should it matter?

001Stunna

Reaction score
I'd just get the O'reilly SuperStart Extreme 725CCA, 3-yr Warranty...............$86
...simply because more CCA and longer warranty.

I bought my car with an Energizer Battery in 2007...that same battery has been in there ever since and i'm pretty sure it was in the car for quite awhile before i bought it. Ive had no issues with it whatsoever.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Batteries are always a subjective experience. Just buy the best one for your budget. Some people swear by the cheap batteries.

Last time around I bought a Duralast battery for around $90. Only been in the car for a few months so we’ll see how it does.

Mikey

Reaction score
Same with my Interstate. I havent checked the date on it yet but it looks like it's been in there awhile. It may be at the end of it's life, so it's not fair to say that it's a bad battery.

But my arguement still stands. they all have the same length warranty. If an Optima lasts beyond that warranty, great. If a Wal-Mart or O'reilly battery doesnt, they'll replace it for free. The only difference is the hassle.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
As much as I have been an Optima fan, I have heard more and more people complain about them. i don't know that I would bother with another one either.

If you have the room in your budget, then I would suggest looking at a higher end battery.

If it is just regular wear and tear, nothing wrong with a cheaper one that comes with a good warranty.

fastflyinaccord

Reaction score
As much as I have been an Optima fan, I have heard more and more people complain about them. i don't know that I would bother with another one either.

If you have the room in your budget, then I would suggest looking at a higher end battery.

If it is just regular wear and tear, nothing wrong with a cheaper one that comes with a good warranty.

I too have heard that Optimas are not worth the extra 50-80 bucks. My buddy delivers for Interstate and I have never had a problem with their batteries.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
They aren't, even with disconnecting my batteries, they have drained out AND I have charged them, and they don't hold a charge.

I have a system in my car, and the Kintex batteries have been suggested, so I may look in to those.

OP, how is the red/yellow top the same price?

I would only buy a refurb Optima battery, if I was in a bind and needed something fast, otherwise, a new one of a more reliable brand is the best way to go.

Mikey

Reaction score
The Red has a lower CCA and the Yellow is deep-cycle. Plus, Im getting them at cost.

Im sort of on a budget but I feel that even if I werent, I'd still go with a cheaper brand. I just feel like a lot of people have hyped up Optimas and when I talk to people who deal with batteries day-in and day-out, Optima really isnt seen that often or is said to be on the lower end of things.

$90 for a 725CCA battery with a 3-year warranty sounds good to me and Ill probably go that route. I just wanted to discuss the fact of warranties and that, if a battery has one, I feel it shouldnt matter the brand.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
That was the at cost price of the Optima's....seems a bit high.

Regardless, you go with what best suits your needs/budget

Can't always rely on the hype over a product to prove it's worth.

2000wtt6gen

Reaction score
It doesnt really matter unless u have alot of extra amps and etc. in your car.. I use xs power batteries and never had a problem with them..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Back