Battery Brands: Do They Really Matter?

blackcord

Reaction score
IMO, Optima is going downhill. I had a Red Top that only lasted just over 1 year when it crapped out on me. I had luck with Interstate batteries though (I had 2 and both lasted over 7 years each).

Back to the Optima topic, I also heard that to extend the life of your Optima (Both Red and yellow) that you occasionally need to use a charger like a ctek battery charger like this http://smartercharger.com/battery-chargers/#CTEK Multi US 3300 I never used this and MAYBE that is why mines crapped out on me?

Mikey

Reaction score
Yeah, see, I dont have any kind of extra stuff or anything out of the ordinary. Aside from HIDs but thats it. Well, and I have a dual-socket plugged into my lighter for my SIRIUS and a cell phone charger(when needed). Otherwise, Im stock as a rock as far as electrical/power draw.

The $90 O'reilly battery is 725, which is a bit much but it's just more powah and an extra year of warranty. :\

SykVSyx

Reaction score
@blackcord, I picked up a charger from CT, and I have used it with my Yellow Tops, it did work for awhile, but the Yellows don't seem to last long regardless.

I MIGHT consider going with them again, just to get things up and running, there is a refurb source that I have, and there is a warranty on them as well, but once I decide to do a proper upgrade, Optima will not be my battery of choice.

2002CG3coupe

Reaction score
my redtop optima has been a pain in the ***...good thing it was free!

I agree my yellow top has been ****ing up

OP -To bad they don't sell O'reilly SuperStart where I live, I go with these seeing how base off the detail/description, they perform up to and better then Optima batteries

Last edited:

Mikey

Reaction score
Well, as I mentioned, I dont have any extra stuff. The only thing drawing more than stock parts might be the HIDs but that's it. And I dont plan on having anything more. So I dont need anything major. The only issue, for me, is that she's parked outside and in the winter, it can get cold. Single digits, sometimes. Maybe even below zero temps, so I need somethng that wont freeze up on me and that'll fire right up. Thus why I went with the Extreme.

And in reality, and this may or may not be debateable, but a battery is, essentially, a battery. No matter what the brand. It's all in the warranty. The only difference is, if it's a cheap one that craps out, you have to deal with swapping it for a new one whereas a "quality" battery might outlive the warranty. But then you're back to square one; deciding on what kind of battery to get, lol.

I dont even wanna get into the placebo affect, but I swear she runs better with the new one in. In the last few weeks, and I shouldve taken this as a hint, the cluster would dim upon braking or acceleration. I know the battery has nothing to do with the shape the motor's in but now she's got a good, full battery to run off of.

Last edited:

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Listen, there are people that would argue that washing/waxing your car makes it seem to run better, so if you get a sense that a battery has the same effect, can't argue with that.

It is true though, the car runs better after a thorough detailing.......

Back