Been out of the audio world for awhile, help with front speakers

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Ok, I know I should search but it is really hard in the audio section to find out what would really fit me because there are so many variables to a system.

This is what I have, I don't know the exact models or exact specs on things. I have Infinity Kappa compenents up front, powered by an alpine amp. The amp is an Alpine with 50 watts rms x4, I don't need the back so I have up to 100 watt rms for upgrade. I also have infinity reference 10 in subs x2 with an infinity amp that is 300 watts rms x2. HU is a Pioneer AVIC-F900BT.

My Kappa's are quite litterally almost 15 years old. The production date is 1996. They suprisingly have lasted and still sound pretty damn good. My issues with them are the same issues I had the day I bought them. They are a bit harsh on the treble (past what I would consider "bright") unless you really take out the high end with eqing. They also need to be crossed over at about 90hz which is a bit high for me, other wise they distort.

I am looking for something that is a decent upgrade. I only have front speakers so they need to be good all around. I want something that really can go down to 60-70 hz without distortion when loud. Basically something that really doesn't need a sub to sound good, the sub just compliments them well.

My budget is up to $300, I am a musician so I will pay even more but I really would like to keep it under $200. Music is my life so I can say my budget is pretty "loose" lol.

XxESKIMOxX

Reaction score
anything with component you would probably need to amp it up because the rms is around 150 usually at least for mine. unless you get the 80rms or under so your after market head unit can supply the power for it. i have the newer versions of the infinity kappas and references speakers. i couldn't be more happy. they are about 100 dollars on ebay. for the front. and another 100 for the back. plus or minus plus or minus 3-4 dollars. but dont take my word for it. i might be wrong.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
lol infinity "reference" :lawl: moved up to mb quart reference series and that was a huge difference. it was worth the hassle of mounting and extra wiring and tuning etc for my component set, if not JUST for the sibilance control (strong S sound).

the choice depends a lot on motivation, i guess, since components will need a place for the crossovers. also most components will need a spacer since most mids are deep. i would say to look at the CDT shallow comp sets but i haven't had any experience with em.

otherwise be prepared to make/buy some spacers for the speakers. a non-shallow mount will likely have better low response...

xx24xx

Reaction score
HONESTLY If you are really looking to get great sound out of door speakers, it's gonna cost you more than $300. You have to dampen the doors, buy a nice component set, upgrade the amp and spend time tuning it to your ears.

If you want great mid bass reponse I would suggest Rainbow or Dynaudio. These sets range from $280-$1K+. A 7" driver would be ideal but it would cost a lot of money and requires a lot of skill to make them sound good. I have a 6.5" set (just the tweeters & mids) that ran me about $500 and they sound fanfu**ingtastic. I did use a lot of dampening material, purchased a nice amp that had more power than needed to give them "headroom" and a HU that allowed me to adjust the time alignment. I went full active and boy does it sing. MY amp was $700, speakers are $500, HU is $330, TA was free but you never know and I did pay someone to install it for me @ $60/HR. You don't have to spend this much but I do imagine you spending near $800 to get it done right.

LOL I'm a fkn nut. Don't pay attention to me. :poke:

talontsiawd

Reaction score
My door pannels are already dampend. I'm not looking for the best speakers ever, I am happy enough with 13 year old infinity's so, yeah, I just want something a bit better.

Honestly, I am really looking for a speaker that is more "true" than what I have. My car is basically my playback for my music I make. The more "universal" the speaker, the better I know I have my mix right for other systems. So, my current speakers lack there.

Also, many speakers were, back in the day, advertised with more powerhandling than they really could. My speakers are rated at 90 watts rms but are probably around 40 before they clip. I don't know if this is still true, some people also claim alpine under rates their amps.

Good suggestions, I don't want infinity again for sure. Mb Quartz used were in my sights but I just don't know about many brands these days. I had the same speakers for most my driving life so I never really had to look lol.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
what would almost be ideal (in an ideal world)...take some DIY drivers like dayton, vifa, peerless, etc and have a set in the car then mirror them at home. of course the source would be different and the amps in the signal path, but it might be one step closer.

but going that route would require using active crossovers and some good time spent tuning the car.

if youre looking for mb quart, get a vintage Q or R series set...pre-2005 aka the german-produced kits. the newer ones are made in china soooooo...

there are select companies and select products within that company that make more than rated power under cea2006 standards so its not universal. if you want overrated and clean power, there are few new amps that are "in budget."

Qrmis

Reaction score
Hi talontsiawd,

I also use only components in front and sub in rear, I think that this is the right choice ;)

If You need quality and power, choose Alpine SPR17 components (I use this same).

If You need more quality than power, choose Alpine SPX17 components.

But first try to change your head unit, if this not work, try to change your ampilifier ;)

Back