Black housing job using a heatgun

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
it honestly doesnt matter if you weld them shut, the lights are not airtight and are not meant to be airtight. ever taken a close look at how the bulb connects to the reflector? yep, no gasket. the turn signal and parking light bulb holders have them, but the 9006 and 9005 don't.

and that round rubber gasket around them isnt sealed, either. the lights are meant to keep moisture out, and let air get it. even the housings have little holes in them!

heat gun vs oven is subjective. i wont "bake" car parts where i bake my fish n chips :coffee:

edit: i have never once__not once__used any extra silicone to seal lights. i first opened the pair on the car in early 06 and they get no condensation.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
it honestly doesnt matter if you weld them shut, the lights are not airtight and are not meant to be airtight. ever taken a close look at how the bulb connects to the reflector? yep, no gasket. the turn signal and parking light bulb holders have them, but the 9006 and 9005 don't.

and that round rubber gasket around them isnt sealed, either. the lights are meant to keep moisture out, and let air get it. even the housings have little holes in them!

heat gun vs oven is subjective. i wont "bake" car parts where i bake my fish n chips :coffee:

edit: i have never once__not once__used any extra silicone to seal lights. i first opened the pair on the car in early 06 and they get no condensation.

What you say Ryan is all true, but it depends on how paranoid you are about your lights. I was kind of paranoid since it was my first time blackhousing, but I didn't have to use silicone either, and decided to so I wouldn't have to take the lights off again.. Same with the silica packets. I covered all the bases.

Last edited:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
i just made sure the stock sealant was spread around evenly, since it tends to get pushed to the side as youre opening them.

silica packets...im not a fan of in this case. once theyre full of wetness :lawl: then they have to be changed. i use them for my camera gear, but that stuff isnt out in rain and snow all the time.

ccordex00

Reaction score
don't get cheap when sealing your headlights....I always check em once a month..especially around the edges

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
i just made sure the stock sealant was spread around evenly, since it tends to get pushed to the side as youre opening them.

silica packets...im not a fan of in this case. once theyre full of wetness :lawl: then they have to be changed. i use them for my camera gear, but that stuff isnt out in rain and snow all the time.

ry ry,
that's when sealing them well comes into effect - if sealed well, then even if it's exposed to elements and moisture and rain, it will be ok, but in the case that some does get in, they will be protected by the packets. Use of the packets is banking on the fact that there should be no moisture there in the first place, so they shouldn't need to absorb a lot, therefore not wearing them out quickly :)

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
i havent opened my lights for about 15 months now, and havent even touched them since july-ish...but to break ice and scrape snow off them.

im just saying...if you take your time and are careful opening them, theres no need to be overprotective...just sayin yo...

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
i havent opened my lights for about 15 months now, and havent even touched them since july-ish...but to break ice and scrape snow off them.

im just saying...if you take your time and are careful opening them, theres no need to be overprotective...just sayin yo...

I agree. Good luck Ric! Let us know how it comes out, post some pix!

Ric Rock

Reaction score
soooo today i attempted to open up my housing using a heatgun...it was easy heating up the edges and getting the sides loosened up...its seriously no joke pulling the assembly apart, it keeps resealing...i think i overheated one part too cuz when i pulled one of the tabs bended, i was able to fold it back into place...thank god. the jobs not as easy as reading it on all the other black housing diy's.

ill continue my efforts again tomorrow, keep throwing advice at me guys. THANKS!!!

will post pictures as soon as i finish.

Last edited:
Back