BlowBy? And oil consumption

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Well as all of you know I just finished my 5 speed swap. My car couldnt be running better. So I have not check my oil level in a few months just because I have not driven the car more than 50miles a month due to the bad auto tranny. I think I have had the same oil for about 6 months, its not over due. It's still a medium brown color and feels okay. I poured in some seafoam into my crankcase like a month ago, about a half can. The other 1/4 I fed into my brake booster the rest is still in the can.

The reason I did this is because I have been experiencing some blowby coming from my oil cap. It's not burning blue or anything, its clear. In the past I have always checked to see if there was some blowby but there wasnt even a little bit coming out of the oil cap.

. I checked my PCV valve and even clean it. I blew into it and it seems ok. But it was kinda hard to blow through it. Is it possible the intake manifold hole for the PCV tube is clogged? I am going to buy a new PCV valve tomorrow to see if it cures the problem.

I also noticed about a half qrt of oil consumption, the car doesnt leak a drop of oil. Atleast not enough to even make any marks on the ground.

I warmed up the car and put some news papers down to find any leaks. Ill check tomorrow.

It doesnt smoke or idle funny. Infact the car idles so well I cant even feel the engine run most of the time, Could it been the seafoam dissovled my oil or something?

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
its coming out of the valve cover where u pour the oil. With the cap off.

cajun

Reaction score
"I think I have had the same oil for about 6 months, its not over due. It's still a medium brown color and feels okay."

If you've had dino oil sitting in your car for 6 months, then yeah, it is overdue. It "feels" okay? How does oil feel okay?

"I poured in some seafoam into my crankcase like a month ago, about a half can."

Like someone said above, you're supposed to change your oil not long after putting seafoam in it.

"I checked my PCV valve and even clean it. I blew into it and it seems ok."

A new PCV valve costs about $3 at any auto chain. Why clean and blow the old one?

"I also noticed about a half qrt of oil consumption, the car doesnt leak a drop of oil."

The 2.3L burns oil. No shock there. Instead of standing there watching oil leak out of your valve cover with the engine running go get a compression test if you think you have a blowby issue.

Last edited:

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
"I think I have had the same oil for about 6 months, its not over due. It's still a medium brown color and feels okay."

If you've had dino oil sitting in your car for 6 months, then yeah, it is overdue. It "feels" okay? How does oil feel okay?

"I poured in some seafoam into my crankcase like a month ago, about a half can."

Like someone said above, you're supposed to change your oil not long after putting seafoam in it.

"I checked my PCV valve and even clean it. I blew into it and it seems ok."

A new PCV valve costs about $3 at any auto chain. Why clean and blow the old one?

"I also noticed about a half qrt of oil consumption, the car doesnt leak a drop of oil."

The 2.3L burns oil. No shock there. Instead of standing there watching oil leak out of your valve cover with the engine running go get a compression test if you think you have a blowby issue.

My car never burned oil before

compression test reads 180 across 4 cylinders.

The instructions didnt clarify anything about changing your oil after your use of seafoam. Its not the same thing as an engine flush

I bought a new PCV valve, the old one was still working great.

You can feel the viscosity of the oil by rubbing it between your thumbs. I usually change every 3,000 miles.

I am going to check my valves and adjust if necessary.

Blkcurrantcord-Yah don't open my cap while the car is running will solve the issue.:talk-punch:

Any other usefull information will be helpful ahahahhaha

Back