Bolt on Fork

BoyRicer

Reaction score
I was doing my front struts today driver side came out easy, and went to the passenger side. The bolt that connects the strut fork to the lower control arm is stuck. Its 17mm the nut came off no problem but the bolt itself is stuck in the rubber bushing. I can see the bolt move, itll go about a half turn either way and stop. Anyone had this issue and get the bolt out?

Jephu

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try using a jack to raise the lca.

frontsusp2.jpg

BoyRicer

Reaction score
i was hitting the bolt with a hammer earlier and it didnt budge. Ive been spraying it with pb and liquid wrench all day. Im gunna let it sit over night and have another go at it tomorrow. Will heat do anything with the bushing, loosen it up or will it wreck the rubber bushing?

likeawp

Reaction score
I used an oem jack and placed it under the fork only and lift it up a little to relieve pressure from locking the bolt in place. Then I just use a screw driver with mallet to bang the bolt out like stated above.

Taking out coilovers is such a breeze compared to spring/struts :D

BoyRicer

Reaction score
Ive tried everything to get that bolt free nothing has work...Shes going to a shop to have the last strut installed and to get an allignment :(

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Play with the fork.. There's a sweet spot on it, you may be having it too high or too low, or the knuckle is too far in or out. You gotta find that center and then tap out the bolt. I just hit it with a hammer from the side where you take the nut off, don't worry about the threads if you hit it straight on - the end is tapered for this purpose. You can also use vice-grips to hold the head side of the bolt either the head or the shaft while you hammer the other side and turn the bolt from side to side to remove it. There are so many ways. What exactly is the issue?

BoyRicer

Reaction score
The issue is the bottom fork bolt is stuck inside the bushing in the lower control arm(nut comes off no problem). The bolt moves left right(up/down) about a quarter turn both ways,but wont come out of the control arm. I put a breaker bar on it with a 12in cheater and was able to move the bolt a little(was trying to break the bolt loose). Ive hit it with several hammers(carpenters, 5lbs, ect) tried and air wrench on it...nothin has worked so far

Back