Broke a stud, how hard to replace?

cliffsta

Reaction score
The apes at the shop overtorqued my lugs, and I broke the tip off of a stud on the driver's rear wheel. Right now I just have been riding with three lugnuts... how hard is it to replace the stud? I heard they just tap in and out? That true? How much about do these things go for from the dealer?

Thanks.

Sakuradrops808B

Reaction score
My mechanic bought some for less than 2 dollar each (cant really recall) when it happened on my Teggy. If its going to be your first diy then it will be difficult.

jdmaccord6

Reaction score
I went to sears for them to replace one i broke. $25-30ish is what they charged me for labor and a new stud. I know it's not difficult doing it yourself, but i didn't have the time and it's my daily driver so i didn't want to chance having my wheel break any others off...

k3nnex

Reaction score
The Accordian broke off one on each side of my car in one day. It cost me $100 for each side. Damn if you really can get it done for $25 that's a good deal, I got screwed!

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
the rear is super easy...if you know how to do brakes....just remove brakes...hammer it out...slide new one in and reinstall your brakes...when you tighten your lugs it will pull it through...

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
It's fairly simple if you have an air gun

1) remove wheel
2) remove caliper
3) remove rotor/drum
4) use hammer & large screwdriver (or something close) to punch out old stud
5) put in new stud.
6) put lug nut on new stud and hand tighten
7) use air gun to tighten lug nut which will pull remaining portion of stud up against the back plate

reassemble everything

Simple to do if you have the proper tools.
best to go to a mechanic who you're familiar with.
Other wise you can get raped wit hthe price.
Labor time should be about 1/2 hour if they do it without BSing around

Last edited:

cliffsta

Reaction score
I went to sears for them to replace one i broke. $25-30ish is what they charged me for labor and a new stud. I know it's not difficult doing it yourself, but i didn't have the time and it's my daily driver so i didn't want to chance having my wheel break any others off...

Damn, I'ma have to ask the Sears at the mall where I work if they do it that cheap... I could drop it off before work one day.

Blacknight: I don't have an airgun :( I assume by remove calliper, you mean pull it out of the way like when changing rotors and pads? NOt actually disconnecting it from the car?

Trying to decide if its worth the headache to do it myself or blow the dough for someone else to do it.

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
Blacknight: I don't have an airgun :( I assume by remove calliper, you mean pull it out of the way like when changing rotors and pads? NOt actually disconnecting it from the car?

Trying to decide if its worth the headache to do it myself or blow the dough for someone else to do it.

Yes, just put it off to the side so you can remove the rotor

BPAccord

*DAIGAKUSOTSU*
Reaction score
$30 is not bad....but if it is ur first time then i wouldnt mind shelling out $30...this happened to me alot on my 240...replaced like three studs within a time spand of 2 months

nyknick1015

Reaction score
im riding on 3 studs right now till i get new rotors... my car has 12 studs all around because these wheel shop jerks keep on over torquing them

Back