Car Idling High

BigAnt

Reaction score
I had my mechanic clean my throttle body today. I noticed when I was driving home after, it was idling high in netural (5spd manual) right above 1k revs. What could be the problem?

F23A1AT

Reaction score
He may have forgotten a vacuum line. Or he may have unknowingly adjusted the throttle cable by accident.

finch13

Reaction score
If he only took the intake tube off to clean it, then vacuum lines wouldn't be a problem. If there was a vacuum leak it would likely idle rough and low, not high. The throttle cable (or cruise control cable) could be snagged on something. Take a peak, you'll see it right where the intake tube connects to the intake manifold. The throttle cable snakes around to the firewall and the cruise control cable goes over to the driver's side fender.

NashvegasCG

Reaction score
He may have forgotten a vacuum line. Or he may have unknowingly adjusted the throttle cable by accident.

what kind of mechanic would unknowingly adjust the throttle. My suggestion would be to check the springs. If he totally removed it, he may have stretched them out or damaged them somehow. Maybe so, maybe not. Just an idea

BigAnt

Reaction score
what kind of mechanic would unknowingly adjust the throttle. My suggestion would be to check the springs. If he totally removed it, he may have stretched them out or damaged them somehow. Maybe so, maybe not. Just an idea

He did not remove the throttle body. He cleaned where is it. I saw that he opened wide open and cleaned it out with a towel with some carb cleaner on it.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
He did not remove the throttle body. He cleaned where is it. I saw that he opened wide open and cleaned it out with a towel with some carb cleaner on it.

Carb cleaner? I'd like to see your carburetor conversion. Post some pix! :dunce:

On another note, he should have used throttle body safe cleaner. Reset your ecu. Something electrical was probably wet when you started driving off.

BigAnt

Reaction score
Carb cleaner? I'd like to see your carburetor conversion. Post some pix! :dunce:

On another note, he should have used throttle body safe cleaner. Reset your ecu. Something electrical was probably wet when you started driving off.

I did reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery this morning. This what my high school auto teacher told me to do. Then he said drive for 30 miles until the ECU figures it out on itself.

My car was idling at 250-500 rpm before I cleaned it. Now it is idling right about 1k rpm.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
I did reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery this morning. This what my high school auto teacher told me to do. Then he said drive for 30 miles until the ECU figures it out on itself.

My car was idling at 250-500 rpm before I cleaned it. Now it is idling right about 1k rpm.

Make sure your mechanic didnt use carb spray. That will ruin your sensors....with the negative terminal off the battery. Measure the resistance on the IACV. It should be low, I dont know the exact specs, but if the ohms are high, its bad.

F23A1AT

Reaction score
Misunderstood sorry, I thought he took the throttle body off the car. Dunno why he would though :dunce: moment for meh!

BigAnt

Reaction score
Make sure your mechanic didnt use carb spray. That will ruin your sensors....with the negative terminal off the battery. Measure the resistance on the IACV. It should be low, I dont know the exact specs, but if the ohms are high, its bad.

What sensors would it ruin? Nothing has came up, no check engine lights or anything. I noticed that the idle is getting a little better the more I drive the car.

Back