Car Idling High

finch13

Reaction score
I've cleaned my TB/intake plenum before... with 2 cans of brake clean and no effects on the sensors.

BEFORE:
DSC01678.jpg

AFTER:
DSC01683.jpg

DSC01684.jpg

DSC01685.jpg

BigAnt

Reaction score
My mechanic fixed the problem, there was something wrong with the throttle cable how it was adjusted. He was saying that previos owner's mechanic did some dumb things with the throttle cable.

Now the idles normal. After he fixed the pedal became soft, before it was kind of hard. Is this normal?

finch13

Reaction score
There's "free play" in the pedal. That's the amount of travel from where the pedal normally sits to where it actually starts moving the throttle. Cable slack, if you will. There is actually a thread on here with a "mod" to remove the slack so there is no free play and it increases the pedal sensitivity. It's actually very simple to do.

BigAnt

Reaction score
There's "free play" in the pedal. That's the amount of travel from where the pedal normally sits to where it actually starts moving the throttle. Cable slack, if you will. There is actually a thread on here with a "mod" to remove the slack so there is no free play and it increases the pedal sensitivity. It's actually very simple to do.

is that normal?

finch13

Reaction score
Yes, a little free play is normally. It feels like 1/8-1/4" before the pedal actually moves the throttle.

itzcharlie

Reaction score
okay instead of making a new thread ill just ask it here because its a similar problem.. well i have a 02 v6 auto and my car idles high when i start it up .. idles around 2k then it drops as i start driving it.. it drops to normal after a couple mins of driving though

finch13

Reaction score
Hmm... ECT sensor may be out of whack and running the engine on high idle. Really hard to diagnose these problems over the net without actually seeing the car.

Drift

Reaction score
Hmm... ECT sensor may be out of whack and running the engine on high idle. Really hard to diagnose these problems over the net without actually seeing the car.

It would surely throw a code if the ECT was doing something funny.

Holy ****, im drunk!

finch13

Reaction score
It would surely throw a code if the ECT was doing something funny.

Holy ****, im drunk!

Hahahahaha. I'm too tired to think tonight... i have like 100 manual tranny questions to finish answering since they're due tomorrow.

Anybody wanna talk about the differences between Borg & Beck and long style pressure plates? Or rev limits of cast iron pressure rings versus steel?

Back