Car just scared the **** outta me.

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
BACK TO THE ORIGINAL TOPIC

First of all, make sure your oil level is proper. If the level is low, VTEC may not engage properly.
Another thing to look at is that you have a 4 speed automatic. The problem with 4 speed automatics is that they have a hard time searching for the proper gear to select depending upon throttle position and load.

Some other things to check are of course, plugs/wires and maybe clean the fuel system and probably change type of gas

245/45ZR-17

Reaction score
Thank you Blacknight for some good suggestions. Last time I checked the oil was about 1k ago and it was perfect.
Car still has the original plugs and wires, so maybe this could be a culprit, but then again with only 41k is it even time to go into that?

Icemul

Reaction score
I agree with check/clean the fuel system. As for the plugs/wire... that shouldn't effect how the cars shifts, that would effect how the car reved.
Last I check the car should be shifting at redline in first gear.

Is this problem happening during normal accel or only when you get on it?

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
Well, I normally change my plugs once a year and my wires about every 2-3 years.
Bad plugs/wires can cause hesistant excelleration.
It's not good to constantly have your car in extreme high RPM's but occasionally it's acceptable. Especially for Highway passing or when emergency acceleration is necessary.

And, I'm sure we've all taken our cars to redline one time or another.

Hush

Reaction score
dude steadypimpin don't bash on people they do as the please with their car, and this is a honda it won't give out on you just for going WOT once in a while. fine thats cool you don't go WOT with yours but some people like to.

to the point, where you rolling into the street? sometimes when i do that it stays in 2nd gear so i don't get much power and it goes on for a long time and it'll up shift to 3rd. Thats the problem with auto you can't really do anything about, when i step on it harder then it'll downshift to 1st. It just depends on the brain...

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
you could also put the shifter in 1 then 2 etc...i do it once in a while :D the manual even says something like "you can use the gear selector to drive like a manual transmission without a clutch" or something like that. if honda says its ok, its fine with me :)

00Accord4cyl

The Orange Skittle
Reaction score
Not going WOT every now and then will hurt your car more...It is perfectly fine to floor it, just going to hurt your gas mileage. I do it, not everyday but i probably go WOT a few times a week maybe..

OH and this sounds like the joys of having a 4 cyl auto accord thread..i feel your pain, nothing else like going pedal to the metal, redlining, and nothing happening haha...

wg2k7

Reaction score
and if you have an intake you gotta do it regularly just to remember the sound

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
steadypimpin said:
1st of all, why are you tryin' to hot rod your stock automatic??? I think you deserve what you get for that dumb move. Sorry but no sympathy here bro. Hopefully for your sake your car is ok.

Your a little low on the totem pole to be being a dick already.

Back