Car just scared the **** outta me.

245/45ZR-17

Reaction score
*Update*

I'm so pissed right now...

I forgot to mention that about 2-3 months ago the cat had gone bad so they installed a new one under the emissions warranty, but used the original 02...

Got in the new O2 today and went to install it, noticed how difficult it was to remove, and a couple of turns into it I realized that it was cross threaded... :confused:

Sure enough it was a bitch to remove and once it came out I was horrified at what I saw. The honeycomb end was smashed as if someone had squeezed the **** outta it with their thumb and index finger. The threads are stripped beyond recognition, and much worse, the same can be said for the threads on the cat. :mad:

I'm livid right now, I'm just hoping that the dealer will refund my money on the 02 since they are obviously the reason that all this occurred. Plus they need to install ANOTHER cat.

Anybody got any ideas on how to get the car to the dealer without an 02 sensor? Will driving the car a few miles to the dealer really **** up the cat even more?

I'm thinking about just having it towed. :(

Last edited:

245/45ZR-17

Reaction score
But wouldn't that give the dealer just one more reason NOT to replace the cat under warranty? Just the fact that I removed the 02 would be reason enough for them to say "You removed it, YOU messed it up"

My dad suggests that we rethread the cat and just use the new 02 that we already have.

Anybody have insight on what the dealer may have to say about all this?

245/45ZR-17

Reaction score
Well the problem has been resolved...

Turns out the dealer didn't install the 02 wrong, matter of fact they installed it correctly. The problem was the new cat they installed, it fell apart, and all the pieces were in there just loose which explains my lack of power, and inability to rev beyond 5k. All that blockage was creating a **** load of back pressure, which also created a ton of heat which explains the 02 coming out with stripped threads...

The heat galled the 02 and the nuts that hold the 02 to the exhaust pipes. I got a new cat and installed it myself along with the new sensor, hopefully this will be the last cat/02 the car has.

Does Honda have some kind of problem with faulty cats? Or am I just really that unlucky to go through 2 bad cats?

Back